Send topic e-mail notifications as a background task

Michel_72

As I was confronted with some 'sudden' performance issues while posting message in a topic with 10+ followers, it turned out Invision Community forums is sending topic e-mail notifications instant. A 'slow' mailserver can then significantly delay the posts being made to such a topic:

Please make the e-mail a background task as this seems bad practice. The speed of a post should not be relying on the speed of a smtp mailserver (which is quit speedy, but apparently not speedy enough for Invision community 😉

Edited by Michel_72

When there are only 13 followers, posting takes 22 seconds to complete. That is not acceptable. When this topic would have 30 followers I loose my members by frustration 😉

I am using the external mailserver because sending mail via this mailserver is way more reliable then sending via php (dkim, antivirus), and again, this mailserver is no slouch.

Can this treshold then al least be configurable?

Edited by Michel_72

Could be a simple setting: “background task for all” or “background task just for many emails”. 

I would always choose the first option. I have some communities on the same server using PHP mail and some using Amazon SES over SMTP. The delay for SMTP is significant and very frustrating for the users. If feels like something isn’t working. The notifications taking 5 minutes to go out would certainly be the lesser evil. 

Edited by opentype