[Commerce] Bug on coupons causing a loss on sales

Hi,

I offer subscription packages with multiple renewal terms. The terms that meant to cover future period are added to base price of the product (as this is the only way to get the money for subscription period paid in advance).

Now, I created a coupon where I unmarked to apply to renewals. When new buyer comes, adds a product to the cart with a renewal term that is being added to the base price (due to the above explained reason) and uses the coupon he will get discount from total price base + added renewal.

It is wrong in my opinion as the buyer paid the renewal price at moment of purchase just to cover the subscription period in advance. While in checkout the system should calculate real base price of a product or grab it from product settings but not from the cart directly.

Hoping for a solution on this in next maintenance update.

Edited by PatrickRQ

Just to avoid confusion. By saying I offer subscription packages I did not meant the subscriptions offered by Commerce. I use regular Commerce products.

4 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

When you add the value to the purchase price, it is not a renewal. It is the purchase price. So this is actually correct and as per design. The intention of this is that if the purchase options are different and you want the initial purchase price to also be different. 

Unfortunately @Marc Stridgen, you did not offer any other way to charge buyer amount for renewal period that is in future to be paid in advance, so we add it to base price. In my manner, what buyer actually pays is purchase price + renewal for period in future. The only problem you combine it as one base price and calculate discount of coupon from this.

There is a need some improvement in this area to prevent that. Up to you what way, there are at least 3 ways to sort that. Otherwise use of coupons puts us on loss.

Edited by PatrickRQ

It is matter of point of view because in moment of purchase what buyer selects is "renewal term" that may be added to base price but it is still renewal term as it charges for future period. Now, if we will take a look at coupon's config it say "Can be used for renewals of selected products?". Putting the both together makes me thing it is not working as intended.