Any way to switch themes for disabled site?

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

So the last two recent updates have, for me, required an updated custom theme.  The problem is that it cripples my site completely every time this happens - homepage is screwed and I can't log in to my adminCP - the login page only shows EX0 Something went wrong. Please try again.

This is extremely irritating and I really wish there were a safeguard of some kind to revert to the default theme so that admins can log in and upload updated custom themes.  Don't know if this is possible, but in the meantime is there a way I can FTP to my site and tweak some details to at least switch the theme that way?

Ok, I might have spoken a bit too soon.  I created a constants.php and inserted the following:

<?php
define( 'RECOVERY_MODE' , TRUE);

As per the example...actually there were a couple of variant examples on this page:

but this was the one which correctly coloured the arguments, which I presume means it's correct.

Either way, this line has no effect - I still can't sign in.  And I tried including and excluding the end tag for PHP, but it didn't make a difference.  Am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Please update the access details on file, and we can take a look for you to see what is going on there

Thanks Marc.  However, the details on file are for my production site, and this is for my test install (which there's no room to include).  My test install is also in a subdirectory - does that change anything?  I assume not but thought I'd mention it.

Edited by LiquidFractal

12 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We wouldnt usually assist with test instances, but if you add ftp details for test instead of live, and also ensure login details are for your test, I will take a quick look to see if I can see whats going on

Thanks Marc - I've added the relevant information into the Notes box in my access details in the Client Area.

21 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

In this instance, I cleared out the datastore folder manually, which is what brought back the ACP login page.

Thanks Marc.  In the future, is the datastore folder something like a Windows Temp folder which can be cleared out whenever?  In other words, is that basically the cache folder?