Moving Invision Installation Directory

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I'm looking to move my installation of the Invision suite from the /board directory on my server to the root directory, making it replace the main page of my website. What do I need to watch out for to ensure this goes as smoothly as possible? I assume I'd need to update the conf_global.php and possibly the constants.php files. Would setting up a 301 redirect work for redirecting all link to the old location to the new location?

Thanks!

You will also need to update your IPB license  as the URL is changing.  You’ll need to do the license reset after the migration because the old URL cannot be accessible in order to apply the reset process.

Review your upload paths as that directory is most likely changing. 

You’re on the right path for conf_global and constants file.  I would setup your 301 in htaccess in your old location instead of other locations.  Make sure the new location gets an updated htaccess reflecting the correct change. (If you are using the API’s, you might need to correct it’s htaccess also.)

Edited by Randy Calvert

The order in which you do this should also be

1. Move the site files
  2. Update your conf_global.php and constants.php
  3. Make any changes to custom URLs you have set in file storage settings (if you are unsure, its unlikely you have any)
  4. Change your licensed URL (go to your client area, select your license, then 'change URL')
  5. Do your redirects

Its important the redirects are done last, otherwise you will have problems changing the URL on your license

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 3:42 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

The order in which you do this should also be

1. Move the site files
  2. Update your conf_global.php and constants.php
  3. Make any changes to custom URLs you have set in file storage settings (if you are unsure, its unlikely you have any)
  4. Change your licensed URL (go to your client area, select your license, then 'change URL')
  5. Do your redirects

Its important the redirects are done last, otherwise you will have problems changing the URL on your license

I performed all of the steps and things 'look' good, they load, I can get to the ACP, etc. But when I try to log in I get redirected to the /login directory, which doesn't exist. I checked a backup I made before moving everything, and that directory did not exist before.

19 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Check your htaccess. It looks like you moved your file, but haven't updated it. You can download a new one from your admin CP at System>Search Engine Optimisation if needed

I was able to login again after downloading and uploading the .htaccess file. But now things don't seem to be loading properly: http://www.bzpower.com/

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Black Six said:

The ACP looks the same as the index, so I'm not really able to do anything there.

While it may look funky, it will still function. If you are able to clear it and it doesn’t help, please ensure the permissions of the datastore and uploads folders on your server are writable.

If all looks good after the above, please verify the credentials in the Client Area are accurate and we can take a look. 

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

While it may look funky, it will still function. If you are able to clear it and it doesn’t help, please ensure the permissions of the datastore and uploads folders on your server are writable.

If all looks good after the above, please verify the credentials in the Client Area are accurate and we can take a look. 

Permissions on those two directories are "drwxr-xr-x" I didn't explicitly change them, but I suppose something could have been affected when I moved the files.

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

4 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

I just updated and confirmed all the information should be working.

I'm trying to get the redirects to work now by modifying the .htaccess file. Based on some Googling, this is what I've come up with, but I haven't really delved into this sort of thing before:

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/board/(.*)$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /$1 [R=301,NC]

It seems to be working halfway some of the time. For example this link will redirect to the new forum index, but not the proper path (raffles): https://www.bzpower.com/board/raffles/

But this link will return an error saying it can't find the page I've requested: https://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/32469-matoran-guy/

Basically all I want to do is take any URL that has '/board' in it and remove '/board' while keeping the rest of the URL the same.

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

Try something like:

Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^board/(.*)$ /$1 [L,NC,R]

You might just need the last line if using the default IPB htaccess. This entry should be in the site document root. 

Appreciate the help! That looks like it did the trick!

The “L” flag was important part as there were multiple match options with the default IPB rules and this redirect rule. Adding the “L” flag tells Apache that if the rule matches to not process other directives since this rule should happen even if IPB’s rules might also match.