Spam Messages are being sent to subscribers of forums

We're noticing a trend where a spam message put on our only open public forum seems to being deleted properly per the spam filters and blocks I've got set in admin.  However, there are users getting the message forwarded to them anyway if they are subscribed and following the forum.  It seems like the follow activity is happening before the spam scrub routine.  Can this be reversed?

Hi Marc,

Here are two messages forwarded to me by a person subscribed to the Guest forum at https://rwaonlinechapter.org/Boards.

I had thought that one of our mods were deleting them and asked them to stop doing that so I could add more filters to the spam IPs/URLs if needed.  I confirmed that, especially on the second one, that the user received the email, forwarded it to me, and I checked the boards less than 15 minutes.  The message was not visible in the forum and no one had deleted it manually.

Looking forward to whatever you can figure out.

Pam

Gmail - Spam2_ сайт.pdf Gmail - Spam1.pdf

Jim - I'm not following what you're saying...exactly.  I agree that the user receives the notification right away.  However, shouldn't the post be run through the spam filters before it ever gets posted?  And if it meets the spam filters criteria, it wouldn't be posted, and therefore should not be sent to the forum followers.

It looks like the process is actually reversed - it sends out the notification and THEN runs through the spam filters.  That seems not very user friendly.

Pam

2 minutes ago, ptrader said:

Jim - I'm not following what you're saying...exactly.  I agree that the user receives the notification right away.  However, shouldn't the post be run through the spam filters before it ever gets posted?  And if it meets the spam filters criteria, it wouldn't be posted, and therefore should not be sent to the forum followers.

It looks like the process is actually reversed - it sends out the notification and THEN runs through the spam filters.  That seems not very user friendly.

Pam

There are not any spam filters in sending email notifications from our software. Are you referring to the Ban Settings or Flag as Spammer? If so, this would only take effect on registration and not guest posting. This is why we do not recommend allow guests to post without registering.

I think we're missing each other's points.

The message never shows up on the forums.  It is deleted by the system somehow after posting, but not before it is sent out in the email.  

I amend that - the last spam message was correctly hidden per my spam control settings. 

1 minute ago, ptrader said:

It would be nice for the system to run the spam process first, and if the message is hidden, to not send an email of the post.  Wouldn't it?

If you're using a third party add-on for spam, you would need to contact the author. There are no means of spam filtering for guest posts in our core system.

6 minutes ago, ptrader said:

I'm lookin at the settings in Members > Content Moderation and that appears to work with anyone.  

There are three sections in the area you're talking about:

• Automatic Moderation - This is not helpful for what you're describing.  This simply says if a post is made by a member...  if more than XX people report it, to take an action (such as to hide it).  It does not prevent it from generating the post in the first place.  
  • Spam Prevention - This applies during account creation OR if you allow Guests to post.  If a spammer can figure out the captcha, it will not prevent it.  
  • Warnings - Has nothing to do with stopping spam.  It's about warning people who break your rules and setting up consequences for violating said rules.  

We would need to know what you believe has deleted the items. The reason I ask this, is it may be the post before register feature itself that has deleted them. The process is

1. User posts
  2. They are asked to register
  3. They enter their details and are sent an email
  4. if the user registers, it turns into a post for that new member
  5. if the user does not register, that post is deleted after a period of time. 

So as you can see there, it may well not be being deleted by any spam filter. If it is, we need an example of x post being deleted because of y criteria specifically so that we can advise. At present you are mentioning spam filters on post, which simply dont exist.