Issue with Caching & Customer Support

Hey guys,

I am currently running into an error with caching. I've done all the steps provided to me by our web host, but this error has been up for nearly a week.

image.thumb.jpeg.89f69650b6726996692b98e125ce7ea9.jpeg

Also I am having issues with customer support. I purchased Invision in Feburary and it was stated that I would have email support until August 21, 2022. This is obviously not the case since I am post my issues here.

Help?

The first thing you need to do is confirm if your instance of PHP supports Redis.  (That's separate from having Redis installed somewhere.)

You can do this by checking PHPInfo.  There is a link to it in your ACP.

YOUDOMAIN.COM/admin/?app=core&module=support&controller=phpinfo

You should see something like:

BAC43993-DCB8-4E66-B06E-8D4F473AF2A5.thumb.jpeg.f02f93e40aefadaf06c6bd18b8a7a5d7.jpeg

If you don't see all that stuff (and only a few lines), it most likely means you need to have redis support compiled into PHP.  This has been the most common issue that I've seen why Redis won't work for some folks.  

Next...  in your screenshot, you show a public IP in the server field.  If Redis is hosted on a different physical server, you need to confirm that outbound TCP port 6379 (or whatever port is used by the Redis provider) is open on your server's firewall.  Otherwise your server won't be able to reach the other server.  

You also don't have a port number specified in your screenshot.  You should most likely list it.  

If Redis is running on the same server as your website, change server address to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1".  Again, I would also specify the port Redis is listening on that server as well (or if it's running as a socket, you could provide the path to the socket file).  

Finally...  once it is actually all setup and working, it can take several minutes for that error to go away.  Generally once it's actually working, it can take 3-5 minutes for that error to disappear.  

Good luck!  

And the reason I suggest changing the server to localhost or 127.0.0.1 **if** it's running on the same instance as your web server is most server firewalls don't allow external access to Redis.  Calling it via localhost or 127.0.0.1 tells the server it's making a connection to itself, which would bypass local firewall restrictions on the device.  

Support has actually changed and is done here. We still have access to your account, and can get things to a ticket when needed, dont worry.

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Unfortunately, you have not yet added your access details as my colleague requested. If you could please do that, we can take a closer look.

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Hey @Jim M,

I believe I have put in the proper information in the Stored Access section. If there is an error, I will attempt to contact my provider for the correct information.

Sorry for the belated reply, work has been very busy for me! I appreciate your patience and assistance.

Screenshot (134).png

10 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

These are still incorrect unfortunately.  Your hosting company will not be able to tell you what those details are, as its your admin CP username and password which you have not added correctly in our client area

Just for my own clarification you want the admin CP information for our forums themselves, not the webhosting Admin CP?

Thank you, the credentials were correct. 

Unfortunately, I am seeing that PHP is unable to make a connection with your Redis instance. Please contact your hosting provider for assistance.

With that in mind, with a community of your size, I would not really recommend using Redis. Redis is only really needed for large communities. Small to medium communities, it can cause actually more overhead than it's worth, especially if you're hosting Redis on the same server.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Thank you, the credentials were correct. 

Unfortunately, I am seeing that PHP is unable to make a connection with your Redis instance. Please contact your hosting provider for assistance.

With that in mind, with a community of your size, I would not really recommend using Redis. Redis is only really needed for large communities. Small to medium communities, it can cause actually more overhead than it's worth, especially if you're hosting Redis on the same server.

We've attempted to contact our provider and they told us to get in contact with you. Very sad news. I will try to squeeze more out of them per your request.

If we were to change from Redis what would you recommend?

7 minutes ago, HotCupofJo23 said:

We've attempted to contact our provider and they told us to get in contact with you. Very sad news. I will try to squeeze more out of them per your request.

If we were to change from Redis what would you recommend?

As your file storage method, you can use file storage. I would recommend not caching as Redis is the only option.

1 minute ago, HotCupofJo23 said:

A follow-up to this:

Are we able to switch providers and retain our current set up on the forums or have we locked ourselves in permanently with them?

Nothing from ourselves would limit you to one hosting provider. You can move to another hosting provider should you desire.