Upgrade from IP.Board 3.3.4

Yeah, I know, 3.3.4 is super outdated and no longer supported and I'm an idiot for not upgrading sooner. By all means spend a few minutes laughing at me. 🙂

My music-based community has been online for over 17 years and we're self hosted. We started out on IPB 1.3, and upgraded to 3.3.4. Certain things no longer work (View New Content and searches -- both time out) or never worked at all (IP address searches for members from the admin CP -- white screen). I'm in the process of archiving old threads and I've done a LOT of pruning and we still can't get those things to work. Another problem is we can't make the site https compliant because it created issues with the reply boxes and admin CP.

I'm not here to try and fix those things on my current software, just giving a little background to what brought me here this many years later. I'm hoping an upgrade will fix those problems along with bringing us into the current decade.

I'm still paying the license fee, even though my software is no longer supported. My questions are:

How will my data and features translate over to the new version? I use only the forum and calendar. For instance, will things like quote boxes carry over correctly? (This was a problem when we jumped from 1.3 to 3.4.) How about avatars and member rankings? I know I'll lose my skins and that's okay.

Will the problems mentioned above be remedied with the upgrade? I of course would have the server set up with the latest requirements.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

You shouldn't have any of the issues you mention there with the latest release. However I would say that timeouts may well be server related also. That you will only really know once you have updated. Of course these things use newer technologies than we used over a decade ago though, so that should indeed make a difference. And we also point out issues as you hit them in the latest releases with the support area of the admin CP. For example, if you are not using INNODB (a large contributor to speed issues when not being used), it will tell you in that section.

We don't actually support upgrading from 3.x any longer, but the upgraders are in there if you want to give the upgrade a go. I would suggest on something that is so old, you do a test conversion somewhere first of all to see the results. Content itself should indeed translate over to the new version correctly, along with avarars you mention. Ranks are slightly different in that while they can, it will need some playing to get them to show in the same way. These days we use achievements in the core platform rather than ranks, which is a much much larger system (think instead of 1 point 1 post, you get x points for y achievement. And you choose what those are). You can see more about the achievements item here

We also added more to it here

You can choose whether or not you keep your own ranks when you upgrade, or whether you ditch those in favour of the new default set of ranks, badges, and achievement rules. You can even import those after the event using the xml files directly if you wanted to keep your own, then decide to switch afterwards.

Of course with an upgrade of this length of time, things are quite a bit different in places. I would however very much encourage you to make the jump to our latest products, as I think you will find they benefit you a lot.

If you look at this, get to the point of testing and you think "This isnt something I can do", its worth checking out the providers section. There are quite a few people who offer legacy upgrades as a service.

https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will try to answer as best I can for you.

• 2 weeks later...

The upgrade is actually going okay. A couple of questions.

1. I can't find the setting where you can set how many consecutive quotes you can have in one post, like if I quote someone who has quoted someone else, and both of their quoted posts show up in my reply. (Not multi-quote.) Right now the quote function only includes the last post.

2. On my old board we had an app that displayed members anniversaries. I don't see that in the block options, nor in the marketplace for purchase. Any options on that? When your community is over 17 years old that's a fun thing to look at, and longtime members always got congrats threads for the occasion.

Edited by filmix

1 hour ago, filmix said:

2. On my old board we had an app that displayed members anniversaries. I don't see that in the block options, nor in the marketplace for purchase. Any options on that? When your community is over 17 years old that's a fun thing to look at, and longtime members always got congrats threads for the occasion.

Search in marketplace for "Birthday" they are some plugin if you want enhanced for member that already built in:

2022-04-17_23-58-54.jpg.ceab9fde60ac261b5d2f9ce56457a46a.jpg

16 minutes ago, abobader said:

Search in marketplace for "Birthday" they are some plugin if you want enhanced for member that already built in:

2022-04-17_23-58-54.jpg.ceab9fde60ac261b5d2f9ce56457a46a.jpg

That was a good thought, and we're using a block for birthdays, but the app/plugin we had was specifically deigned for anniversaries, and it displayed each member who joined on a given day and how many years ago they joined. The above block doesn't show the anniversary years.

anniversaries.jpg

Edited by filmix

Hmm, I don't recall seeing a plugin for that in the marketplace, but I might be wrong.

It looks like a quick thing to code thought. As Marc above mentioned, you can try contacting someone from the Providers list to code it for you. I'm also in that list, if you're interested shoot me a PM. 😉

Edited by teraßyte

2 minutes ago, filmix said:

That goes back to about 10 years ago.

Hit the wrong button and the post submitted by mistake. I've updated it. 😋

Most likely the author never updated it and at some point it was forgotten. Happens often sadly.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing a plugin for that in the marketplace, but I might be wrong.

It looks like a quick thing to code thought. As Marc above mentioned, you can try contacting someone from the Providers list to code it for you. I'm also in that list, if you're interested shoot me a PM. 😉

Edited by teraßyte

2 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

Hit the wrong button and the post submitted by mistake. I've updated it. 😋

Yep, just saw that. 😛

5 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

I might take you up on that once we get more settled with the new software, thanks!

10 hours ago, teraßyte said:

I havent seen a plugin for this either. 

On 4/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, filmix said:

I can't find the setting where you can set how many consecutive quotes you can have in one post, like if I quote someone who has quoted someone else, and both of their quoted posts show up in my reply. (Not multi-quote.) Right now the quote function only includes the last post.

This question is still up for grabs.

Thanks to all for the help so far with other matters!

On 4/17/2022 at 9:57 PM, filmix said:

The upgrade is actually going okay. A couple of questions.

1. I can't find the setting where you can set how many consecutive quotes you can have in one post, like if I quote someone who has quoted someone else, and both of their quoted posts show up in my reply. (Not multi-quote.) Right now the quote function only includes the last post.

4 minutes ago, filmix said:

This question is still up for grabs.

Thanks to all for the help so far with other matters!

Unless I remember wrong that setting has been removed quite a while ago. The code now always strips any previous quotes inside the content when you hit the quote button.

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

That is correct. We no longer use nested quotes within the software and havent for quite some time

No problem, we'll adjust. Use multi-quote where needed.

Funny thing, the new software displays the nested quotes from before the upgrade with no problem. Except for the 10+ quotes on the mobile version. That's a jumbled mess. :laugh:

20 minutes ago, filmix said:

No problem, we'll adjust. Use multi-quote where needed.

Funny thing, the new software displays the nested quotes from before the upgrade with no problem. Except for the 10+ quotes on the mobile version. That's a jumbled mess. :laugh:

It would attempt to retain what is already there. However will not do them any further than the 3.x series