credit card required for free membership?

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

We offer both paid and free membership plans. A member was just trying to sign up for the free plan and is being required to provide a credit card, which doesn't make sense. Is there a way to fix this or turn off this requirement? Or if not, are you aware of a plugin in the marketplace that would help with this? We just can't be requiring credit cards for free memberships. Thanks.

We're not offering a free trial of the membership, it is a fully free membership level. Therefore we don't want to ask them for a credit card at all. Is this possible? Also, I just added a manual payment method, but it does not come up as an option when registering for a new account.

I think the problem is that you make the free membership a “subscription product”. Just let it be the default member group without a subscription. 

Many website do it like you ask: there are different tiers and “free” is one of them. With Invision Community, there is a default member group and then users can choose to get a paid membership. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 3:26 PM, opentype said:

I think the problem is that you make the free membership a “subscription product”. Just let it be the default member group without a subscription. 

Many website do it like you ask: there are different tiers and “free” is one of them. With Invision Community, there is a default member group and then users can choose to get a paid membership. 

Hi there

We also offer a free membership option. The above solution looks promising - I'm just trying to understand the implementation - how do a set up a member group that doesn't require subscription please? 

Vick

Well that would be your default member group. By default this is "Members". So its not something you create. It already exists. The issue is you are trying to create something when there is already something there (when someone registers, they are then a member. If they havent paid for anything, its free)

• 2 months later...

I just created a $0 cost free subscription.  New members can pick that if they don't want to pay.  I especially like it because the process takes them through a process to validate their account.  

Recently, however I am seeing too many bogus free accounts.  I may start a minimal charge requirement to avoid the spammers who seem to be getting smarter by the day.  Free accounts sometimes cost YOU time and money.

Mike