Can't enable "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies"

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

We've been using CloudFlare on our forum for over 10 years now and never had an issue until recently. The "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies" setting has turned off on its own and I am unable to turn it back on. When I flip the switch, save, go to another page and come back to it, it's disabled again. What can be the cause of this? I haven't seen this happen on any other setting that I'm aware of, just this one. We are on the latest version.

Please ensure that you do not have any other caching on your server and check your System Log in ACP -> Support for any errors.

If there are errors related to you saving this field, please check at the bottom if any third party applications/plugins are causing any issues. If they are not, please ensure our account in the Client Area Access Details area has access to your community and FTP access details are updated.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Please ensure that you do not have any other caching on your server and check your System Log in ACP -> Support for any errors.

If there are errors related to you saving this field, please check at the bottom if any third party applications/plugins are causing any issues. If they are not, please ensure our account in the Client Area Access Details area has access to your community and FTP access details are updated.

We did have NGINX caching before but that has been disabled for awhile as well. Nothing in the system logs. No issues detected with plugins.

I have updated the access details if you'd like to take a look. Thanks!

Please disable CloudFlare completely and contact your hosting provider or server administrator to see if there is any further caching. This is not related to just this setting but all settings so something is heavily imposing caching.

26 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Please disable CloudFlare completely and contact your hosting provider or server administrator to see if there is any further caching. This is not related to just this setting but all settings so something is heavily imposing caching.

I am the administrator. Our site is hosted on an OVH VPS. I've disabled CloudFlare completely. Checked to make sure NGINX is still disabled.

I haven't enabled any other caching method on this VPS.

Could it be a permissions issue?

Edited by CircaCitadel

3 minutes ago, CircaCitadel said:

I am the administrator. Our site is hosted on an OVH VPS. I've disabled CloudFlare completely. Checked to make sure NGINX is still disabled.

I haven't enabled any other caching method on this VPS.

Are you using Varnish or something else that sits in front of your server?

3 minutes ago, CircaCitadel said:

Could it be a permissions issue?

Permissions, as in file permissions? It shouldn't be but please ensure those are correct and that mod_security is not being triggered.

29 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Are you using Varnish or something else that sits in front of your server?

Permissions, as in file permissions? It shouldn't be but please ensure those are correct and that mod_security is not being triggered.

No Varnish. This is a fairly fresh VPS we moved to about a month ago. Nothing extra like that seems to be installed, and I didn't install anything other than NGINX at first but that was disabled last week when I noticed this issue.

Yeah, file permissions. Normally that causes more visible issues when that's a problem, but is there an admin folder that requires something other than 755 or 777? Looks like some are one of those two.

6 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Out of curiosity...  have you tested this in a different browser?  I've noticed sometimes settings on different sites get cached in the browser and temporarily switching to a different one resolves the situation.  

Yep, tried multiple browsers and multiple computers and tried VPNs.

14 minutes ago, CircaCitadel said:

Yeah, file permissions. Normally that causes more visible issues when that's a problem, but is there an admin folder that requires something other than 755 or 777? Looks like some are one of those two.

There is not. Other than making sure the files/folders are owned by the correct group/user. Depending on your server, this could cause permission issues.

40 minutes ago, Jim M said:

There is not. Other than making sure the files/folders are owned by the correct group/user. Depending on your server, this could cause permission issues.

I ran a chown -R on the domain folder with the correct user just to be sure. No change.

• 1 year later...

@Marc Stridgen Having the same issue. Can provide more information on where I would find the "template save disk path"?

I did find the setting just now in the same screen as the proxies one. It's set to a wrong path from a previous server, but I can't change that either because it always goes back to the previous value.

Edited by JReviews