Cannot edit Topics created via Pages App.

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

What are you looking to edit exactly? It would be advised to update the Pages Database entry then re-sync the changes. This is intended functionality to not be able to edit directly.

It is the Topic post I want to edit not the database entry. So this option doesn't help me.

Is there any reason why you guys have chosen not to allow these topics to be edited?

3 minutes ago, TDBF said:

It is the Topic post I want to edit not the database entry. So this option doesn't help me.

Is there any reason why you guys have chosen not to allow these topics to be edited?

They are intended to be a direct copy of what is in the database record.  If you would like to see this changed, you're welcome to provide your feedback in our official Feature Suggestion forum for further evaluation.

2 hours ago, TDBF said:

Taking what  @Jim M said and saying it a bit differently... The 'Topic' is an extension of the 'Record.' In order to edit the topic, you must edit the record.

ETA: Maybe it is a permissions setting. I just checked a topic that was created by a pages record and I do have the ability to edit the topic. Which I believe would then translate directly to the pages record.

Edited by My Sharona

17 minutes ago, My Sharona said:

Taking what  @Jim M said and saying it a bit differently... The 'Topic' is an extension of the 'Record.' In order to edit the topic, you must edit the record.

ETA: Maybe it is a permissions setting. I just checked a topic that was created by a pages record and I do have the ability to edit the topic. Which I believe would then translate directly to the pages record.

Cheers, I will have a look at this. However I am sure that I do have permission to edit them. Is that your admin account though?

24 minutes ago, My Sharona said:

You're likely seeing something else - I can confirm that if a topic is truly linked to a database record, then the software intentionally blocks editing and merging on topics. If you need to edit it, you must edit the record, and when saved, the new contents is synchronized to the topic.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

You're likely seeing something else - I can confirm that if a topic is truly linked to a database record, then the software intentionally blocks editing and merging on topics. If you need to edit it, you must edit the record, and when saved, the new contents is synchronized to the topic.

Bahhhhh! 🤣

17 hours ago, TDBF said:

Cheers, I will have a look at this. However I am sure that I do have permission to edit them. Is that your admin account though?

Yes, via an admin account.

16 hours ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

It's possible I don't understand and apologies for mucking it up if I am but I'm not sure what else I could be seeing. On a topic OP that was created from the creation of an article, I get this: 

1.png.d4d1457fa529699d5df2f728a6a1d1e9.png

Though it doesn't show on this screen capture, also can "Reward "X".

If I go to the actual record (note: records have been renamed 'articles', I get this;

2.png.fe03cf3a1bd74d3ae0755e0802669a44.png

I also edit via the actual database as well, depending upon what I am doing and what is called for.

Edited by My Sharona

33 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If its being synscronised with the topic, then you wont be able to see edit. If you believe you can, we would need an example of that

I have it setup so that when the record is created, it automatically creates a topic. I'm guessing that that would be synchronized(?).  If so...

Looking at my setup, I have it set so others can edit their own records that are synched as well. This is done by creating a moderators group (or specific individual) and only granting them specific permissions. 

I edit records from the frontend all the time and have since day one pretty much. Editing the record via the frontend will translate to the topic.

To be clear here, even though I can edit a topic, it will hold unless an edit is made to the actual record, either via the front end or through the ACP. Once you edit the actual record, it wipes any edits to the topic. 

Edited by My Sharona