How can a member eliminate his account?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

8 hours ago, Jim M said:

Not natively through the software. You would need a third party add-on like @Adriano Faria mentioned.

I don't understand, really. You are telling me that a user cannot delete his account or at least request a deletion? That should be a core feature and not something that has be paid. That doesn't make sense. 

Users will have an option to disable/delete an account. It's the normal behaviour, like adding a new user or editing it.

This is not possible at present, only via a plugin created by Adriano Faria.  

Thanks

Edited by OptimusBain

3 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

I don't understand, really. You are telling me that a user cannot delete his account or at least request a deletion? That should be a core feature and not something that has be paid. That doesn't make sense. 

Users will have an option to disable/delete an account. It's the normal behaviour, like adding a new user or editing it.

This is not possible at present, only via a plugin created by Adriano Faria.  

Thanks

Please do feel free to post this up as a suggestion. Stating that in you support topic will not put it somewhere that it may be added in a future release. 

3 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

You are telling me that a user cannot delete his account or at least request a deletion? That should be a core feature and not something that has be paid. That doesn't make sense. 

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense. The arguments against it are objectively flawed and I have explained this many times. But if management doesn’t want it, what can you do. At least we have the third-party options. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense. The arguments against it are objectively flawed and I have explained this many times. But if management doesn’t want it, what can you do. At least we have the third-party options. 

I see that many members are requesting new features all over the IPS community, but they are heard. 

IPS is always thinking about the next big thing instead of focusing on the core functionalities and improving the existing features by listening to the client, who are actually the ones using the software. 

If you don’t want to pay and you have nexus (Commerce), then just setup a dept for account deletion. They can send you a request and then you delete it.

A lot of us always go on about features or small things to be taken into consideration. 
Here’s some I recently done and with a few others expressions their thoughts.

I’d recommend you make some topics and add your thoughts to others.

18 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Using 3rd-party resources like:

Appreciate you posting these! I personally use this as well for my own community. 

Having it natively part of the platform is certainly not a bad idea! 

4 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

I see that many members are requesting new features all over the IPS community, but they are heard. 

IPS is always thinking about the next big thing instead of focusing on the core functionalities and improving the existing features by listening to the client, who are actually the ones using the software. 

I'd suggest purchasing one of the 3rd party plugins for now so you can resolve things asap. I know it's not free, but you'll be getting the functionality you need immediately, plus it helps the 3rd-party devs. A win win! 

I do agree we are always thinking ahead, but at the same time we are also implementing and improving existing features (for example the block submissions feature available in 4.6.11, improving our integrations, an update to Achievements and more; we have some pretty exciting stuff in the works for 2022. 

Please continue to share your ideas in our forum! They really help us strategize what would be a great fit for you and the rest of our community. 😊 

14 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

+1

You will get told to post it as a feature request - however common sense says it should be a core feature - its a no brainer 

4 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I personally use this as well for my own community. 

The Diva Community ? 🙄 😆 

Edited by Muddy Boots

6 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I'd suggest purchasing one of the 3rd party plugins for now so you can resolve things asap. I know it's not free, but you'll be getting the functionality you need immediately, plus it helps the 3rd-party devs. A win win! 

The downside being there is no Support for 3rd party plugins that you/IPS recommend and encourage us to use. Would much rather see it as 'core', and then I assume, fully tested. I have installed and since removed at least three plugins this week that do not do as intended or advertised.

Edited by Emediate

• 1 month later...

I don’t see what the big deal is. If a Member wants their account to be deleted they simply contact me…the admin/mod. I can offer to delete all contact info and content or leave content authored as Guest. I can see issues arising if a disgruntled Member goes off half cocked, and deletes their account, including content thus rendering Topics out of context and gutted. I’ve found that the vast majority of Members that request the removal of their account are angry about something, and after a cool down period change their minds. 

What I could and would like to see native to the software is the option for a Member to be able to delete their account as an option turned on or off by the admin. Also that function could be be set for certain Groups. Even used as an extra Perk for a Donating Group for instance. My 2¢.

Edited by Allen Bradford