Downloading Apps / Plug In Files?

How do we reinstall a plugin or app now, since the move to Marketplace integration with the Control Panel?

Recently I have found the need to "reinstall" many of our apps and plugins after something screwed up in our latest board update. Trying to discover exactly what through official support means has been difficult at best, but I won't go into that here.

But now, I can't download the files (apps and plugins) I have paid for previously because it wants me to do it from the Control Panel. Before, I could just download them and reinstall over the top. I fear uninstalling and then doing it via the new method will lose all stored data relating to that app/plugin.

Yes, uninstalling will remove the data. But there was never a way to install an already installed app or plugin. All you could potentially do is overwrite the files, but there should be no need to do that, as those files are never touched by the use of the product anyway. 

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yes, uninstalling will remove the data. But there was never a way to install an already installed app or plugin. All you could potentially do is overwrite the files, but there should be no need to do that, as those files are never touched by the use of the product anyway. 

That's exactly what I want to do, overwrite the files - and I could do that previously.

Your theory is good, but only if nothing goes wrong. In my case, something went wrong on the last update, and we've had to go through each app, and fix things up. 

10 minutes ago, opentype said:

But there was never a way to install an already installed app or plugin.

There is a way to Upload New Version, even if the "new" version is the same as installed. I guess @Emediate means this. 

And no. There is no way to do it, if you do not have .tar files (for apps) or .xml files (for plugins). Even if you would have them, you have to change your apps and plugins to Custom (not Marketplace).

Uninstalling would indeed wipe out all the data previously saved in your system by app or plugin.

The correct way would be to troubleshoot the system to figure out what plugins or apps screw up your installation. 

Edited by Sonya*

Well, if you have the file from outside the marketplace ( developer own website ) you can install them using "manual upload", otherwise you have to uninstall them and install them again from the marketplace using the ACP dedicated page. But take in consideration that if your file was made for 4.5 only and you have la latest update for 4.6.10 in the ACP you will not find your file.

It was ALL applications, following the last board update. Or something. Language file related, or something. Who really knows. It's just all very hard to get any real support now. As this all relates mainly to applications, the standard "disable all apps and plugins" response doesn't work, because if I do that, all the issues go away. But it affected all apps and plugins.

The only way I have been able to get things going again is by reinstalling or resetting apps and plugins, but obviously in some cases this would mean lost data so I haven't been able to do it in all cases.

Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - as per emails to Jordan recently.

Edited by Emediate

Unfortunately that may well be the case. While I understand its affecting all your applications, we are unable to tell you how you can fix those items without disabling them to readd things, as we simply didn't write those applications so wouldn't really know. While I'm very sympathetic to the issue you have there, its simply not something we are able to fix even if we wanted to.

Why is it you are unable to disable, out of interest? I know why you dont want to uninstall, as that would lose data, but its not clear why you would not disable?

Did you do the manual upgrade route?

I can and have disabled apps. That’s fine. It clears up the errors. But the errors in the log are not specific to any one app. They seem to be affected by more than one app. Similar errors filling the log - as soon as I start enabling apps - one at a time. 

Fault finding by me is seemingly impossible. I am sure for someone involved at a technical level it would be much easier as they know how to read the errors - but alas, I’m apparently not entitled to support any longer unless I move to Hosted IPS. We continue to go around in circles here. I’ve attempted to post my issues (multiple ones) as the request of Jordan after communicating this frustration to him. It has not gotten me any closer to the perfectly running forum I had before the last update. 

41 minutes ago, Emediate said:

I can and have disabled apps. That’s fine. It clears up the errors. But the errors in the log are not specific to any one app. They seem to be affected by more than one app. Similar errors filling the log - as soon as I start enabling apps - one at a time. 

Fault finding by me is seemingly impossible. I am sure for someone involved at a technical level it would be much easier as they know how to read the errors - but alas, I’m apparently not entitled to support any longer unless I move to Hosted IPS. We continue to go around in circles here. I’ve attempted to post my issues (multiple ones) as the request of Jordan after communicating this frustration to him. It has not gotten me any closer to the perfectly running forum I had before the last update. 

Please disable 2 factor authentication on your account. I notice you have another topic open, and these both seem very much related. I think this is simply a language pack that is disabled

58 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This is because you now have 2 language packs enabled. You may want to then disable the other. Change your language pack in the top right of your admin CP yourself too, as thats is why you will still be seeing that language string

Thanks. I did that. Now the Language errors have started in the Error Logs again.

So all we've done is just go backwards again. I don't understand how this is "Support".

There is a problem since the last board update. It has not been resolved. Changing a language file suppresses those error logs, but creates other issues throughout the admin control panel.

I have been going around with this in circles for weeks now - including emails with IPS staff - who again this morning just replied to an ongoing conversation with Jordan, asking me to upgrade to "hosted". As a decades long customer, and as mentioned on the emails, I am feeling completely abandoned here. 

As you suggest, I have contacted the authors, and they cannot reproduce my problems and say I need to open a ticket with Invision.

Did you look at the error logs that started immediately when I switched Language packs at your suggestion? I am confident that just one person from Invision with technical knowledge would make sense of them and at very least point me in the right direction.

I'm sitting here will to pay money for support (in the absence of any other option), but no one seems willing to help unless I move to a hosted solution. Something is just not right here.

10 minutes ago, Emediate said:

So all we've done is just go backwards again. I don't understand how this is "Support".

There is a problem since the last board update. It has not been resolved. Changing a language file suppresses those error logs, but creates other issues throughout the admin control panel.

I have been going around with this in circles for weeks now - including emails with IPS staff - who again this morning just replied to an ongoing conversation with Jordan, asking me to upgrade to "hosted". As a decades long customer, and as mentioned on the emails, I am feeling completely abandoned here. 

As you suggest, I have contacted the authors, and they cannot reproduce my problems and say I need to open a ticket with Invision.

Did you look at the error logs that started immediately when I switched Language packs at your suggestion? I am confident that just one person from Invision with technical knowledge would make sense of them and at very least point me in the right direction.

I'm sitting here will to pay money for support (in the absence of any other option), but no one seems willing to help unless I move to a hosted solution. Something is just not right here.

If you duplicate (and give us access) to a test install without these third party applications/plugins, are you still receiving the same error? This would allow us to rule out the third party applications/plugins here. I think this is good common ground for us to move forward, don't you?

I can look into that rather large task and pay our hosts to produce it - but I still have not yet established if anyone from Invision has actually even looked at the current Error log to see if there is an obvious fix or a direction that I can be pointed in? Which, is all I have been really asking for, for weeks now.

1 minute ago, Emediate said:

I can look into that rather large task and pay our hosts to produce it - but I still have not yet established if anyone from Invision has actually even looked at the current Error log to see if there is an obvious fix or a direction that I can be pointed in? Which, is all I have been really asking for, for weeks now.

I have just now and everything right now is pointing still to a third party application/plugin that is being loaded in or something specific to items in the language pack so it is a toss up that, as mentioned above, cannot be ruled out in the current state.

I have just now and everything right now is pointing still to a third party application/plugin that is being loaded in or something specific to items in the language pack so it is a toss up that, as mentioned above, cannot be ruled out in the current state.

Which is it then? As I have done as told many times, and opened multiple error reports here as that is the only support you offer now.

This broke during the IPS update. You need to guide me on how to fix it.
It is not one app or plugin. We have established that. The errors start as soon as you enable more than one plugin.

It is language file related I am sure. However, that has not been resolved and the suggested fixes didn't actually fix anything.

No more handballing please. Just help us as this has been dragging on weeks!

Edited by Emediate

1 hour ago, Emediate said:

Which is it then? As I have done as told many times, and opened multiple error reports here as that is the only support you offer now.

This broke during the IPS update. You need to guide me on how to fix it.
It is not one app or plugin. We have established that. The errors start as soon as you enable more than one plugin.

It is language file related I am sure. However, that has not been resolved and the suggested fixes didn't actually fix anything.

No more handballing please. Just help us as this has been dragging on weeks!

It is indeed likely a language issue, but the language issue is with the 3rd party items. We cannot diagnose issues with 3rd party items. If you can determine what the issue is with your 3rd party developer and it appears to be something in core they can provide more details on, we can certainly then take a look at that.

I can fully appreciate that you have stated it has been dragging on weeks here, but it does need to be noted this topic was started on Sunday. Also, we have asked if you can go back to the developers of those 3rd party items on more than one occasion. I have flagged this topic so that a developer can review, but it is extremely difficult to assist if you're unwilling to follow the advice we are giving.

The conversations started on email in January IIRC, when my Support option stopped working, and then Invision removed the option from my profile entirely, and have since told me that I can only get support here or move to hosted Invision option.

I'm following that advice and opening topics here (and more than just this recent one on Sunday as you know) but as I am yet to resolve the issue I will continue this process. I am repeating myself here once again - but I cannot establish WHICH app or plugin it is, as there is no common denominator. I spent more than 48 hours a few days ago going through them one by one. It is a time consuming process as you would know.

It appears this is affected and caused by more than one app or plugin, and there is no consistency. It happened when I upgraded to 4.6.10, but no one at Invision seems to want to accept these facts. It's a handball to tell me to go back to the developers. I have done that. They all see no problem with their software as they cannot reproduce it.

I need help from someone who knows Invision and has a good technical knowledge. Again, repeating myself, I appreciate that this may well be specific to my configuration, and I am willing to pay for this expertise, but no one is listening and no one seems to be able to help. I am tearing my hair out, lost productivity, days and days of trying to resolve, ridiculous copy/paste emails from Invision simply encouraging me to take up a hosted plan. Surely you can understand my frustration by this point.

It's great to point to 3rd party problems, but it is Invision who sold me those 3rd party plugins and encourages their use.

You've given me great support over the years Marc - and I always felt confident when I saw it was you responding to a support ticket. Every single issue I ever had was resolved perfectly. It's just odd that under this new support system now, that unless I move to Hosted Invision, no one can now help me.

As a loyal long standing customer, I just can't fathom how Invision seems to just not care now. There is no where else I can turn at this point.