Half database tables are MyISAM and half are InnoDB

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hi. I've been concerned for a while about the message I get in my dashboard regarding database tables, "It is strongly encouraged to ensure all of your database tables are using the InnoDB storage engine, and that your hosting provider has configured MySQL for InnoDB use. "

A couple of times I've had a look into it, and even contacted support on my hosted service but I've not made much progress. I just clicked on the SQL toolbox link in my dashboard and it shows that roughly half of my tables are already in InnoDB and half are MyISAM. Is this normal? I'm confused as to how that is.

So I presume I'm okay to assume that my server is already set up to use InnoDB. How do I convert the rest please?

Many thanks

Edited by Washerhelp

• Solution

I would advise taking a backup of your database prior to making any changes. If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable changing your database to InnoDB, it is advised to contact your hosting provider or hire a server administrator to assist you. While the process is not expert-level difficulty, if something goes wrong, it's good to have support.

• 5 months later...

I'd just like to report back, for the benefit of anyone else with this issue, that I managed to convert all my databases to InnoDB without difficulty. I'm pretty sure I did it the hard way – I'd be surprised if there wasn't an easier way, but here's what I did -

I went to PhpMyAdmin, clicked on the database

Clicked SQL tab and pasted in the following - ALTER TABLE my_table ENGINE = InnoDB;

Then clicked the structure tab next to it, and copied the name of the first database (eg. ibf_ccs_folders )

Clicked SQL tab and replaced the "my_table" bit with the database name, ending up with 

ALTER TABLE ibf_ccs_folders ENGINE = InnoDB;

I then clicked the Go button, bottom right.

Then I copied the name of the second database. On returning to SQL I got a notice that it had saved my last query, so I let it paste it in, and then just replaced the first database name with the second database name and clicked GO.

I repeated this manually for all databases (there's a lot). I kept thinking there must be a faster way, but I was so glad to have found a straight forward way to convert the databases I was happy to spend the time, which was quite satisfying.