FX Pages - a free collection of Pages templates

Thanks a lot for this great app. I love it.

There is one thing. I just installed the newest version and it changed many things on my default theme 😞 I had to disable FX pages because of that 😞 The right sidebars on my template (they always go on the right), were place on the left side, etc. I had to disable the app because it wasn't looking good at all.

It mades changes on the categoryRow, categoryTable, categoryHeader, categoryFooter, etc.

The attachment is just one of the many changes the app wanted to do. I didn't accept any since my template got broken.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.1bd195aebfe85f7acbbae64aad896146.png

Edited by OptimusBain

I am sorry to hear, you are unhappy.

9 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

it changed many things on my default theme

The app does not contain any changes for theme, neither for default templates. On your screenshot, you can see that the app updates FX Pages Docs Listing template (a black line above the files). This template should be indeed updated if you would like to use new features from FX Pages 2.0. 

13 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

The right sidebars on my template (they always go on the right), were place on the left side, etc.

In FX Pages 2.0 you have a setting that allows you to change the pages where sidebar will swap the position. 

spacer.png

If you do not choose any page here, your sidebar will not be touched.

16 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

It mades changes on the categoryRow, categoryTable, categoryHeader, categoryFooter, etc.

Yes, indeed. All these template bits have been changed in FX Pages 2.0. These changes apply to all templates, starting with FX Pages... However, there are no changes for default templates, delivered by IPS right after installation.

39 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

I didn't accept any since my template got broken.

If you have not accepted anything, then nothing can be broken, as no changes to templates have been made. If you have accepted the changes and something got broken, then please a bit more information to it.

If you are not sure how to update, then:

• uninstall the app System->Site Features->Application
  • delete all templates that start with FX Pages ... from Pages->Page Management->Templates (be sure to remove block and page templates as well!)
  • delete menu block in Pages->Page Management->Blocks
  • delete the database page in Pages->Page Management->Page
  • install FX Pages again from Marketplace, follow the video tutorial to setup it from scratch.
Just now, Sonya* said:

I am sorry to hear, you are unhappy.

The app does not contain any changes for theme, neither for default templates. On your screenshot, you can see that the app updates FX Pages Docs Listing template (a black line above the files). This template should be indeed updated if you would like to use new features from FX Pages 2.0. 

In FX Pages 2.0 you have a setting that allows you to change the pages where sidebar will swap the position. 

spacer.png

If you do not choose any page here, your sidebar will not be touched.

Yes, indeed. All these template bits have been changed in FX Pages 2.0. These changes apply to all templates, starting with FX Pages... However, there are no changes for default templates, delivered by IPS right after installation.

If you have not accepted anything, then nothing can be broken, as no changes to templates have been made. If you have accepted the changes and something got broken, then please a bit more information to it.

If you are not sure how to update, then:

• uninstall the app System->Site Features->Application
  • delete all templates that start with FX Pages ... from Pages->Page Management->Templates (be sure to remove block and page templates as well!)
  • delete menu block in Pages->Page Management->Blocks
  • delete the database page in Pages->Page Management->Page
  • install FX Pages again from Marketplace, follow the video tutorial to setup it from scratch.

I am not unhappy 🙂 I am happy that someone creates these tools for free. That's a great help. I just mentioned that FX pages when updated scared me because it wanted to change my templates. I will look into what you said.

Thanks a lot for your great tools and support

• 2 weeks later...

@Circo 

1. At what point has is messed your template? It cannot be right after installation as the app does not change any theme.
  2. What have you tried to install? News, docs, courses?
  3. Have you tried the templates on the IPS default theme?
  4. Did you use a sample database and have followed the tutorial?

Just wanted to say, thank you so much for this app. It's lovely, and very thoughtfully made! I have enjoyed reading your documentations and your friendly responses to users on your website as well. Thank you again.

Just to add to someone else's comment, my website was too being affected by Enabling the app... it was shifting the sidebar on ALL pages to the left, instead of just the pages I selected in the Settings page. It was very strange. However, updating the app to v2.1.2 has seemingly fixed this problem. The sidebar and theme is now left unaffected, and sidebar stays to the right with exception of the Docs database I have installed. 🙂 

I wanted to ask about the left sidebar actually, it seems that when changing the position of the sidebar it automatically puts the sidebar content ahead of the main content when the browser window is shrunk down. Please see an example below.

screen1.thumb.jpg.0005637e12d76f4b282557c69542d7dc.jpg

This is Desktop view. As you can see, the left sidebar and contents are where it should be (although is there a way to make it so the Menu block appears above the Announcement and Advertisement? Maybe I just need to modify the template directly to insert the block separately...)

screen2.thumb.jpg.fefc1907df21e44a9f011bcaaf71bb20.jpg

This is shrunk to tablet view, and all of the left sidebar content now appears above the main content area (whereas it should appear beneath the main content). It's a lot of scrolling to get to the content.

screen3.thumb.jpg.b4db37dca0f03d9a18e8a12862020208.jpg

The same happens on mobile view, the mobile-friendly menu also no longer sits at the top of the page but rather halfway down after a lot of scrolling.

Is there any chance this can be tweaked so that, even though the sidebar is on the left on these pages, the content is treated as if it is on the right (and therefore appears underneath the main content area when viewing on tablet or mobile)?

Thanks again, I appreciate the efforts!

@Dreadknux, thank you! 🤩

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

it automatically puts the sidebar content ahead of the main content when the browser window is shrunk down.

Yes, this is a normal behavior. All components are read from left to the right. 

is there a way to make it so the Menu block appears above the Announcement and Advertisement?

Announcements and advertisement are fix-coded in IPS Themes. They always appear at the top of the sidebar. I cannot change it via Page templates.

Maybe I just need to modify the template directly to insert the block separately...)

You can modify the sidebar template to change the order of the elements.

screenshot-2022_02.17-20_42_29.thumb.png.81cf7944e63dc406c644a350e4fb86c0.png

1 = announcements, 2= advertisement, 3= all other blocks go in widgetContainer 
However, this modification is out of my scope 😉 I only make Pages template

Is there any chance this can be tweaked so that, even though the sidebar is on the left on these pages, the content is treated as if it is on the right (and therefore appears underneath the main content area when viewing on tablet or mobile)?

You can do a trick. Add a menu block twice on the page. The first one in the sidebar and define it visibility for desktop only. The second one below the content and define its visibility for tablet and phone only. Thus, you will see only the first block on the desktop. On smaller device the first block disappears, and the second appears 😉 This trick does work only for blocks placed manually. As stated above, we do not have such control for ads and announcements blocks coded by IPS. 

@kmk thank you for your suggestion. FAQ is on my list. 

As for Club Databases, I still hope IPS will implement Pages into clubs natively.

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

There are indeed limitations right now with my add-on. It works perfect with default templates, like IPS articles or my news. But it does not look sane with documentation and courses 😞 

2 hours ago, Sonya* said:

@Afrodude I cannot reproduce it.

Are you sure you have confirmed the new versions of all templates during upgrade? Please try to upload the same version (Upload a new version) in AdminCP->Applications. Just to be sure, all templates have been upgraded.

I downloaded 2.1.4 from your site, and it was first time installed. I reinstalled it, and I still have same issue with News Display template.

5 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

I downloaded 2.1.4 from your site, and it was first time installed. I reinstalled it, and I still have same issue with News Display template.

Can you please check if News.css is applied to the page with the news database? Open a page, switch to the tab Page Includes. Is it included?

@Sonya* Hi Sonya

Have an Issue with FX Pages, really weird one, Using one of Ehrens themes and if I enable your pages application,  the breadcrumb navigation is duplicated, I thought this was a theme problem but its actually caused by fx pages. Ehren gave me a custom css to hide the issue but this isnt really a proper fix as the problem exists.

Ill send you a PM re all the details if thats ok ?

2 minutes ago, Muddy Boots said:

@Sonya* Hi Sonya

Have an Issue with FX Pages, really weird one, Using one of Ehrens themes and if I enable your pages application,  the breadcrumb navigation is duplicated, I thought this was a theme problem but its actually caused by fx pages. Ehren gave me a custom css to hide the issue but this isnt really a proper fix as the problem exists.

Ill send you a PM re all the details if thats ok ?

There was indeed an issue with some 3rd party themes. Especially the themes from Ehren (ipsfocus.com).

They are solved in version 2.1.4 (waiting for approval in Marketplace).

Please give it another try when new version it out 😉 

Hello

I just installed this , and on its setting on the ACP this shows

EX0 Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error: Class 'IPS\cms\Blocks\Block' not found (0)
#0 /ipb/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(101): IPS\fxpages\modules\admin\fxpages\_settings->manage()
#1 ipb/applications/fxpages/modules/admin/fxpages/settings.php(26): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#2 ipb/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\fxpages\modules\admin\fxpages\_settings->execute()
#3 ipb/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#4 {main}

Hi @Sonya*

I appreciate the feedback, regarding the menu above sidebar ads/announcements I guess it will require editing of stock IPS templates, as you say. I will have to figure out a clever way around this (I always try to design my themes with as little modification of the stock theme as possible - through CSS manipulation etc).

However, I think you may have misunderstood my point about the left sidebar appearing above the content on mobile/tablet view... I could do the trick you suggested at the end of your response to me, but that doesn't seem like a workable solution to me (it would involve having the sidebar void of any other widgets besides the Menu, and I'd like the sidebar to include other content as well - at which point, when the tablet or mobile view is activated, there will always be content appearing above the main content area).

I've had a little play around with CSS and realised that this can be something you can implement easily in FXPages using the following custom CSS code. It adds a flexbox to the entire content + sidebar area, and sets an order to the sidebar and maincontent (which is then flipped when the tablet view is engaged via media screen). I've shared it here in case you want to include it as part of a modification/toggle on settings (i.e. "Do you want left sidebar to appear underneath content when tablet/mobile view is engaged? Y/N"). Anyone else can add this to their custom CSS too; just change the "docs" part of "cCmsDatabase_docs" to whatever database slug they want the sidebar flip to apply to (you can easily check this by looking at the Source of a page in the database in your browser and checking the classes in the 'body' tag).

/* Page Databases That Use Left Sidebar: Fix Ordering in Mobile View */

body.cCmsDatabase_docs #ipsLayout_contentWrapper {
  	display: flex;
  	flex-wrap: wrap;
  	flex-direction: row;
	}
	body.cCmsDatabase_docs #ipsLayout_contentWrapper nav.ipsBreadcrumb_top {
  		flex: 0 1 100%;
      	order: 1;
		}
	body.cCmsDatabase_docs #ipsLayout_contentWrapper #ipsLayout_sidebar.ipsLayout_sidebarleft {
  		flex: 1 0 50%;
      	order: 2;
		}
	body.cCmsDatabase_docs #ipsLayout_contentWrapper #ipsLayout_mainArea {
  		flex: 1 0 50%;
      	order: 3;
		}
	body.cCmsDatabase_docs #ipsLayout_contentWrapper nav.ipsBreadcrumb_bottom {
  		flex: 0 1 100%;
      	order: 4;
		}
	/* TABLET Fixed Page Order */
	@media screen and (max-width: 979px) {
		body.cCmsDatabase_docs #ipsLayout_contentWrapper #ipsLayout_sidebar.ipsLayout_sidebarleft {
  			flex: unset;
      		order: 3;
			}
		body.cCmsDatabase_docs #ipsLayout_contentWrapper #ipsLayout_mainArea {
  			flex: unset;
      		order: 2;
			}	
		}

EDIT:

I just wanted to throw in another little bug I noticed if that's okay... on the menu widget, sub-categories are always expanded even when the arrow is set to closed. Please see below (the 'Mainline Games' subcategory is expanded, the 'Section 2.2' subcategory is not expanded but the child page is still visible). Any chance this can be fixed? Thank you, I appreciate it 🙂 

952794651_Screenshot2022-02-23at17_12_16.png.3d6bbc55c77ee256fe99543b293c738e.png

Edited by Dreadknux
20 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

It adds a flexbox to the entire content + sidebar area, and sets an order to the sidebar and maincontent (which is then flipped when the tablet view is engaged via media screen).

I wish I could check this with all the customized themes out there 🤪 I am happy it works for you.

20 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I just wanted to throw in another little bug

I will look into it. Thank you!

Thank you for the fix on Ehren's themes.  I've been messing around with adding news on my site.  Is it supposed to be blurring the images? Or is this something with the image handling on my server? The images being uses are good resolution images and I would expect them to be nice and clear.

FX_News_blurred.thumb.png.f10588f8776ca942f7439705a6d411af.png

FX_News_Articleview_blurred.thumb.png.ad1e29623c1aa3efe08a7bb34cc5730e.png

1 hour ago, Circo said:

Thank you for the fix on Ehren's themes.  I've been messing around with adding news on my site.  Is it supposed to be blurring the images? Or is this something with the image handling on my server? The images being uses are good resolution images and I would expect them to be nice and clear.

FX_News_blurred.thumb.png.f10588f8776ca942f7439705a6d411af.png

FX_News_Articleview_blurred.thumb.png.ad1e29623c1aa3efe08a7bb34cc5730e.png

I think I figured this out... Changed thumbnails to unlimited size.