Support php 8.1

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The other thing to remember is that while Invision may support 8.0/8.1.x, this isn't necessarily true for third-party developers, who are of varying aptitude.  I just installed PHP 8.0.x on my development site, which dies with an error 500 unless I disable my third-party customizations (which means that one of them isn't coding properly somewhere for PHP 8.x).  And I don't currently have time to troubleshoot.  So there's support, and then there's support.

Edited by LiquidFractal

On 2/4/2022 at 7:52 PM, nodle said:

I am running 8.1 without any problems whatsoevr.

There are portions of the codebase that doesn't get utilized by the average site owner. There could be certain settings that get enabled that utilize a section of code that might not play well with new PHP releases. It's in the realm of possibility that one site might not encounter any compatibility issues. 

One site claiming that all is well in the world doesn't necessarily mean that everyone's world will be peachy.  It's quite possible that there might be problems yet to be discovered.

Although some folks step us to beta test each build its pretty much a free for all. People will randomly test things likely leaving portions of the suite untested.  

With "some" structure thrown around client beta testing a larger amount of the code could be tested minimizing the amount of follow up releases needed to be fully compatible with each new PHP release. 

Helping marketplace developers better address future PHP releases would be a worthy conversation to have between IPS and the community.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, b416 said:

the background task started by cron every minute fails with php 8.1

Note - This caught me out. I had left my nginx configurations to php7.4, but forgot to force php-cli to be on 7.4, you can do so easily by doing:

update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.4

@nodle are you sure your background tasks are working on php8.1?

Edited by jpg

1 hour ago, jpg said:

Note - This caught me out. I had left my nginx configurations to php7.4, but forgot to force php-cli to be on 7.4, you can do so easily by doing:

update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.4

@nodle are you sure your background tasks are working on php8.1?

Ya I had no problems, ran like that for months. I wasn’t using CRON entries though, just the default with user activity. But I switched back to 8.0 weeks ago. I did not run any addons (if that makes a difference). When they announce official  support I will switch back to 8.1.

Edited by nodle

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick follow-up on this, I tried upgrading from 7.4 directly to 8.1, however, we started getting 500 errors, apparently due to a few of the plugins not being compatible with 8.1. Some of them are not maintained anymore, however, very useful in our community. Therefore, I am halting the upgrade to 8.1 for the time being, until I have the time to debug each plugin.

For example:

2022/07/30 16:38:14 [error] 3477#0: *12148 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Declaration of IPS\hook3800::link($warningRef = null, $groupFormatting = null) must be compatible with IPS\_Member::link($warningRef = null, $groupFormatting = null, $anonymous = false) in [redacted]/init.php(927) : eval()'d code on line 84" while reading response header from upstream, client: [redacted], server: [redacted], request: "GET /forums/topic/1334466-compatibilidade-de-componentes-placa-de-video-e-placa-m%C3%A3e/ HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "[redacted]"

Cheers.