SSO with Wordpress

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I have a Wordpress site with lots of users and I want them to be able to automatically log into the community via SSO. 

So I have set up an OAuth 2.0 server on wordpress and connected it to an OAuth client on Invision Community. I have been able to log into the community via this method, so I know that it works.

But that said, I have the following challenges to fix:

1) If I log into the main wordpress site, then go to the community, I am not automatically logged into the community. Is there something I can add to the link or something to trigger the OAuth signin option when a user goes to the forum from the main site?

2) On the community when clicking Sign In, I get the username and password as the main sign-in method, with a small button next to it for signing in via Wordpress. It is only I as the admin that can use the username and password login, so it doesn't make sense to have that there. How can I change so that when a user clicks on the "Existing user? Sign In" link, they are automatically signed in via the OAuth sign-in option I have configured? (Basically moving the action from the "Sign in via Ohmify" button to the "Existing user? Sign In" link)

signin-options.JPG.c445643df6cd11041e09e768c339f87f.JPG

18 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

What you are looking for here is a full SSO solution, rather than a login method, which is what you have set up. There is nothing built into the software that will allow this. It may be worth looking in the marketplace though, as I know there are full wordpress SSO solutions there

I actually have the SSO plugin linked to above (Wordpress SSO), but since it is not updated to 4.6 and I am experiencing some issues with it, I wanted to look at alternatives. I have not found any other alternatives on the marketplace and looks like neither has @Lucas James.

I would be happy with a solution where the user isn't automatically logged in, but where a user can click on the "Existing user? Sign In" link to initiate the OAuth sign-in option I have configured.

The SSO plugin above actually replaces the "Existing user? Sign In" link, so it must be possible. And I've seen some older forum posts talking about going into the templates to make the change. But in the newer version of Invision Community, that way of editing templates seems to have been removed.

32 minutes ago, Oyvind Dahl said:

I actually have the SSO plugin linked to above (Wordpress SSO), but since it is not updated to 4.6 and I am experiencing some issues with it, I wanted to look at alternatives. I have not found any other alternatives on the marketplace and looks like neither has @Lucas James.

I would be happy with a solution where the user isn't automatically logged in, but where a user can click on the "Existing user? Sign In" link to initiate the OAuth sign-in option I have configured.

The SSO plugin above actually replaces the "Existing user? Sign In" link, so it must be possible. And I've seen some older forum posts talking about going into the templates to make the change. But in the newer version of Invision Community, that way of editing templates seems to have been removed.

It does, of course. However anything that any modification does is of course possible. This however isnt a function of the core platform any present. Have you tried contacting the owner to see if there is an update?

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It does, of course. However anything that any modification does is of course possible. This however isnt a function of the core platform any present. Have you tried contacting the owner to see if there is an update?

I've contacted them, so let's see.

I also realized there was a place to look for development help, so I've posted a request over there:

21 hours ago, Lucas James said:

The only WordPress SSO application in Marketplace that works; however it has not been updated to 4.6:

@stoo2000

Thanks for the mention 🙂

The 4.6 version is a complete rewrite, so it's taking a little longer than a typical update would and needs extensive testing before it's ready for release.

I have replied to @Oyvind Dahl , the issue does initially look like a server issue, but I'm happy to look further.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 12:22 PM, Gauravk said:

Any expected date of release, I'm highly interested.

I'm a bit delayed with it due to some other things that are going on at the moment. Looking at your other topic, this SSO isn't what you're looking for.

Have a look at 'option B' in the document @Randy Calvert linked you to -