Migrating Files from File System to AWS

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Right now I have Theme Resources, Icons & Logos, and Image Proxy Cache already using AWS S3 instance. For the rest I am using a file share on the server "../uploads/". I did quick df of that folder and found that it is 28GB. In the settings for the files it does say that things will be moved in the background and it may break things in the process of this. My question is it possible to do this ahead of time. Could I manually upload all the files currently in the uploads directory to my S3 instance manually? If not is there anyway to check on the progress and determine how long this would take?

• Solution

Yes, you can certainly manually upload these contents if you so desire. When you change your storage configuration, you will simply want to ensure that you uncheck "Move files automatically." Otherwise, it will generate the background tasks to move these files.

There is not an estimator but once you start the process, like with all our background tasks, you can check the progress by going to ACP -> System -> Dashboard -> Background Processes.

14 minutes ago, josephs8 said:

Thanks @Jim M one other question, if I do the manual upload to S3 myself do I need to worry about the directory structure at all? Since everything is stored in the file system uploads directory at the moment do I just upload that directly to the root of my S3 container?

If you select that you are manually uploading, then you would of course need to manually upload the contents of that folder