Private Topics

kmk

45 minutes ago, Askancy said:

And how does this differ from PM?

The problem of PM is, their location of funtionality design is a little hidden, normally are users who so involved use it. You can see that only will be discovered inside of the user menu (Specially from mobile view)

My suggestion just go to offer a so clear communication ability from FLAT....you register in my forum, when you use START TOPIC , you just can go with that private topics with your friends, or just casual topic that you want to talk with some members.

START TOPIC is the engagement point in whole IPS environment. PM not, at least in this moment...maybe if IPS want to bring PM functionality more front, then it will be replace what I am suggesting

Edited by kmk

7 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

This sounds like club like functionality. Create a space that is only accessible to specific people and allow them to communicate. 

is different, club is something complicated and need handle by admin or moderatosr....What I am talking about is just sign in, START TOPIC, and just share that topic with specific members....so clear and directly...

by now we sign in, START TOPIC, but that topic is location still have to post in places handled and moderated by admins or moderators....and it is public privacy....my suggetion is about START TOPIC and managed by me, just share it with members what I want to share...

Not trying to discount your idea, but doesn’t that go against the idea of a COMMUNITY?  

Shouldn’t a community be about meeting new people and sharing ideas as a group? This essentially would be like interacting via email. You have to know someone to interact with them.

If this is super important, why not look at ways to make the PM system stand out more. For example add it as a link within the forum list below (just like you can make a forum link to an external site).  Making a new feature that does 95% of what already exists while possible would most likely be a tough sell.  Instead I would propose considering ways of making the existing system work more to what you need. 

12 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

If this is super important, why not look at ways to make the PM system stand out more. For example add it as a link within the forum list below (just like you can make a forum link to an external site).  Making a new feature that does 95% of what already exists while possible would most likely be a tough sell.  Instead I would propose considering ways of making the existing system work more to what you need.

3 hours ago, kmk said:

maybe if IPS want to bring PM functionality more front

Do you have any concrete way to make it possible? 

One idea might be to make a link to the messenger appear like a forum.  To show how this might look...  I made a sample forum called Insider Talk.  

1807343095_ScreenShot2022-01-22at8_26_44PM.thumb.png.0314fcdbc7e334211caaaf1d0fd0af13.png

If you click on that link, it takes you into the private messenger.  (yourdomain.com/messenger)

Once there, you would simply click "Compose New", type in who you want to receive the message, the subject, and the message itself.  You could include multiple people, embed images, etc.  

To set this up, you would create a new forum and choose "Redirect" as the type of forum.  One of the options would be where do you want it to redirect to.  Paste in the address of the Messenger system.  

From what you're saying above...  you don't feel the PM system would work because it's hidden and buried inside of menus.  So the fix to that is to put it in the place you're asking for it to be...  in the main forum list itself, which is possible with the existing tools/features.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

Hi @Randy Calvert I am thinking how feasible create a club for a student case, the business is so many students, let say 500 students, that mean 500 clubs, each club contain topics and features only for one student and their parents.

My question is, creating so many clubs (in this case 500 to 1000 and more) for this use case work or not? Technically no problem handle it in term of IPS platform view? 

It's technically possible to do.  The software itself has no problem handling it.  The biggest challenge I see would be once you have hundreds/thousands of clubs is organization.  If they're open, public, or even closed...  that's a BIG list to scroll through.  Instead I would suggest you set each club to "Private" based on the use case you described where that club does not show up in the list at all.  The club owner would need to invite anyone who needs access into it.  (Such as a parent who has their own login separate from the student.)

If you're going to have that many clubs...  I would also think about creating them programmatically via the REST API.  

https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/rest-api?endpoint=core/clubs/GETindex

Anytime you're doing something hundreds of times...  doing it manually will suck!  😄  

Edited by Randy Calvert

10 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

If you're going to have that many clubs...  I would also think about creating them programmatically via the REST API.  

https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/rest-api?endpoint=core/clubs/GETindex

Anytime you're doing something hundreds of times...  doing it manually will suck!  😄  

Oh....this part is so hard for me, I just try to understand it, but....maybe if you can give me a little more explantion, I will learn it a litle more...just say it but I know you already gave me so much help, so thanks, I will try to apply the club for my use case.

The API would be something to engage a developer to assist with.  If this is for students, I assume you have some sort of roster with user accounts.  You could have a developer write a script that would take a list of accounts and create a club for that user, make them the admin of that club, do some basic setup, etc.  

Otherwise, you could manually do it....  but when you're talking about hundreds of students, that's a LOT of work to create by hand.  

10 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

The API would be something to engage a developer to assist with.  If this is for students, I assume you have some sort of roster with user accounts.  You could have a developer write a script that would take a list of accounts and create a club for that user, make them the admin of that club, do some basic setup, etc.  

Otherwise, you could manually do it....  but when you're talking about hundreds of students, that's a LOT of work to create by hand.  

Now I totally understand what you suggested relate API part. It will be the next step after my first manually testing workflow. Thanks so much for your advise.