New word filter added - doesn't seem to apply to older posts

Go to solution Solved by Nathan Explosion,

I've recently started using the word filter to try to filter out some occasional bad language being used by members - I don't especially mind the language too much, it's used in reasonable context most of the time, but Google AdSense takes a very different view! - but having made a change, I don't see that change being reflected in posts that have already been made. Is there a background process that needs to run in order for this to work on posts previously made?

My site has millions of posts going back 16 years, that isn't a viable option for me.

Surely a word filter should be applied on the display of the word, not on the process of saving it to the database - what if a filter was deleted as it was deemed unnecessary? Any prior posts with that filter applied would not have the post reverted.

The data is the post that someone has saved, that should not be altered in the database. If the site administrator wants to change how words within that data are displayed, then the filtering should be done at the post-display level.

4 hours ago, Steve Grant_189967 said:

My site has millions of posts going back 16 years, that isn't a viable option for me.

Surely a word filter should be applied on the display of the word, not on the process of saving it to the database - what if a filter was deleted as it was deemed unnecessary? Any prior posts with that filter applied would not have the post reverted.

The data is the post that someone has saved, that should not be altered in the database. If the site administrator wants to change how words within that data are displayed, then the filtering should be done at the post-display level.

I'm afraid, that is not currently how it functions due to technical aspects involved with how to handle filtering. You are more than welcome to submit your suggestion in our Feature Suggestion forum, however, for future consideration.