Embedded Images Not Showing In Safari Only

Go to solution Solved by Chris027,

I have a post with both PNG and JPG images that are definitely attached and inserted, but not appearing in Safari. Chrome and Firefox show them just fine. Here is a video of the issue. 

At 0:05 seconds I refresh the page, and the images are visible for a split second. 

Then I edit the post to show the images are there and save it to show they appear in the post. 

Then I refresh again and they are gone in Safari only (iOS and macOS).

UPDATE: This only appears to happen to logged in users and happens on all browsers.

Here is a link to the post, it's the last post on the page - https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/64726-article-the-audio-impact-of -solar-panels-and-battery-backup-comparing-sound-quality-of-panels-batteries-and-the-grid/?do=findComment&comment=1177015

Edited by Chris027

I see all four images in Safari on both my Mac (running macOS 12.0.1) and my iPhone (running iOS 15.3). Does it happen with any other images in other posts? Do you have any extensions running, or are you using special network settings?

You should also check the developer console in Safari for any error messages. To open this console, go to Preferences > Advanced and enable “Show Develop menu in menu bar”. Then, press Command + Option + C, and look for any messages marked with yellow or red.

2 minutes ago, Runar said:

I see all four images in Safari on both my Mac (running macOS 12.0.1) and my iPhone (running iOS 15.3). Does it happen with any other images in other posts? Do you have any extensions running, or are you using special network settings?

You should also check the developer console in Safari for any error messages. To open this console, go to Preferences > Advanced and enable “Show Develop menu in menu bar”. Then, press Command + Option + C, and look for any messages marked with yellow or red.

Wow, thank you for post. It appears that this happens to logged in users. I opened chrome and tested it logged in and logged out. 

The issue now is, images not appearing in Safari, when logged in.

Just now, Chris027 said:

Wow, thank you for post. It appears that this happens to logged in users. I opened chrome and tested it logged in and logged out. 

The issue now is, images not appearing in Safari, when logged in.

OK.  That's something. Have you tried disabling any plugins/applications you might have installed long enough to confirm they are not interfering with the display?  

I signed up with a test user and can confirm that the images disappear if you’re logged in. I assume it has something to do with why I’m able to “edit” the post by clicking somewhere in the post text:

image.thumb.png.541de4fae66fc95949a64f8479dd1e1d.png

I can only “edit” this post, not the other posts in the topic. Try to disable the relevant plugin/application and see if it makes any difference!

Edit: The image in this post works just fine in Safari, even when logged in.

Edited by Runar

2 minutes ago, Runar said:

I signed up with a test user and can confirm that the images disappear if you’re logged in. I assume it has something to do with why I’m able to “edit” the post by clicking somewhere in the post text:

image.thumb.png.541de4fae66fc95949a64f8479dd1e1d.png

I can only “edit” this post, not the other posts in the topic. Try to disable the relevant plugin/application and see if it makes any difference!

Woah, that's a huge misconfig. THANKS!

I have no clue how it's happening that a new user can edit that post. 

Just now, Runar said:

Yes, I can. I can’t save it, though, but I can still make changes.

Now I see how to get there. I can reproduce it. 

I think you're right about this being related. Thank you!

When I edit this post and look at the source, the top shows this and that's really strange. 

<div id=":e1z">
	<div aria-label="Message Body" aria-multiline="true" contenteditable="true" g_editable="true" id=":e23" itacorner="6,7:1,1,0,0" role="textbox" spellcheck="false" tabindex="1">

• Solution

OK, here are the details.

The user must have posted the contents into the post from elsewhere. The source had this code on the top.

<div id=":e1z">
	<div aria-label="Message Body" aria-multiline="true" contenteditable="true" g_editable="true" id=":e23" itacorner="6,7:1,1,0,0" role="textbox" spellcheck="false" tabindex="1">

I removed this code and the post is now normal and working. 

Thank you everyone for the help. Awesome community!

Edited by Chris027