4.6.9 Search not working

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Yes, I did. 

15 minutes ago, Jim M said:

As mentioned in the blue bar, the search index is rebuilding. You can check this status by going to ACP -> System -> Dashboard -> Background Processes.

Thank you so much!

15 minutes ago, Jim M said:

As mentioned in the blue bar, the search index is rebuilding. You can check this status by going to ACP -> System -> Dashboard -> Background Processes.

image.png

Edited by dutchsnowden

Rebuilding the search index on my site took about 12 hours with the default database search.  It was much faster (just under 2 hours) with Elasticsearch.  

The amount of time it takes depends on the available system resources and how busy your site is.  Remember...  this is a pretty database intense process and it's competing with your normal site users for resources.  IPB tries to limit what it does at one time so as not to completely overwhelm your server and have your site down while it's being worked on.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

How do you start search index?

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

That means you have not even STARTED the search index rebuild yet.  It's rebuilding the posts themselves.  (It's rewriting old BB code into new format, etc.)

I thought rewriting posts into new format was done by upgrade scripts.

9 minutes ago, dutchsnowden said:

How do you start search index?

Background tasks run in order they are added. After an upgrade posts are rebuilt then the search index. On the Dashboard in the ACP you can see the current order of tasks. 

9 minutes ago, dutchsnowden said:

I thought rewriting posts into new format was done by upgrade scripts.

No. Upgrade procedures are done. Posts are not rebuilt though as it would mean the upgrade process for some sites would take days. It is handled post upgrade by the background tasks. 

• 5 months later...

Im not sure here how your indexing can take days after an update you have done only today. Ensuring you have your tasks running under cron would be the best way to ensure these are running as quickly as they can be. However generally it's a case of waiting for them to complete. These are intended to be a background task, and can happen with large upgrades

Just now, dutchsnowden said:

I have no clue how long it will take, I was comparing with last time I have seen this which took more than 48h. Cron tasks seem to be running in very small chunks.

They will run based on what your mysql instance is capable of running generally. I understand it may have taken a while last time, but if I remember correctly (excuse me if Im wrong) that was an upgrade from quite an old version

5 minutes ago, dutchsnowden said:

Correct, you are correct. It was after a nighmarish upgrade. Now I just upgraded to last version and this started again.

It has, however there are many many other processes when you upgrade from 3.4 that are running alongside those. However it can take time on some servers

15 minutes ago, dutchsnowden said:

Thanks Marc, but I was asking WHICH in particular is the one responsible for the message above (reindexing)? 

Im not sure I understand your question there. Your reindexing is a background task as previously mentioned, and the queue task is responsible for running those background tasks