my database

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, Im not sure what you mean there. Please could you reword this?

That makes 2 of us. 

I am assuming that the OP perhaps means that he could delete topics that did not have a reply since x amount of days ??????

If that is the case @Stan Jensen, you will need a custom app for that with Ipb.

If you meant something else, please be very clear and specific as to what you mean. Ipb support is great, but they are not mind readers 😄

Edited by Miss_B

So sorry. I had written this "I my previous software package, ubbthreads, we could melted form the control panel posts over however amount of days."

I meant

"With my previous software package, unthreads, we could removed from the Control Panel posts after a certain amount of days" ie delete all posts that have not been active in two years or more.

Is there not an option to do something similar here?

9 minutes ago, Stan Jensen said:

So sorry. I had written this "I my previous software package, ubbthreads, we could melted form the control panel posts over however amount of days."

I meant

"With my previous software package, unthreads, we could removed from the Control Panel posts after a certain amount of days" ie delete all posts that have not been active in two years or more.

Is there not an option to do something similar here?

Not out of the box a.f.a.i.k. This will require a custom plugin/app.

9 minutes ago, Stan Jensen said:

OK thanks.  then how do others remove old post. via cPanel?

I do not know how, or even if others do that, but the best way to do that imo is through a custom app. Deleting posts directly from the database at the phpmyadmin is not recommended. 

36 minutes ago, Stan Jensen said:

That's not currently possible in our software, but as Miss_B noted this might be able to be done with a custom app.

Apologies, I hid a reply that had some incorrect details.

While you can use a second database for Archived items, you cannot simply manually empty the database for those archived items. The contents within that database are still being referenced by the software when anyone visits one of those archived topics. They can read it, but cannot reply (the topic is effectively locked unless un-archived).

6 minutes ago, Stan Jensen said:

OK. so my database is 1.4 gigs. Which seems high for me as things slowdown a lot after Facebook, there seems no way to reduce it?  am wondering if it slows down because of the site.

1.4 GBs is not that large of a database this day in age. 

It is worth mentioning that your system log has quite a lot of errors in it as of recently. Today alone there were 115 logs. I would advise setting this log to purge every 30 days as you currently set it to never purge.

I am also seeing:

The table 'ibf_core_follow_count_cache' is full

There are also a lot of errors where gallery images are missing so that should be investigate on your file system with your hosting provider.

Just as a side datapoint, I don’t have the biggest community, but our SQL database is 12GB.  That does not include the search index as we utilize elasticsearch. 

The database size itself does not matter much. IPB is written in an efficient manner to handle big amounts of data with well engineered indexes and queries to reduce the amount of overhead associated with finding data. 

Slowness tends to come from other things such as high CPU load from a high number of concurrent users, an unoptimized MySQL configuration that does not properly get to utilize enough RAM, etc. 

Ive been able to squeeze absorber 30-40% from my prior setup by focusing on server optimization. (Though your specific results might obviously vary.)