embed calendar into wordpress page / post

Go to solution Solved by Mark H,

Hey Mark...  just to clarify...  using blocks would allow a user to embed the code into a 3rd party system such as Wordpress?  The way I was reading the OP's request...  she wants to take the calendar or other areas from IPB and have it embedded into a Wordpress instance that obviously would be outside of IPB.  

The only way I could think to do that would be to export the IPB content via RSS and have Wordpress import the RSS feed.  I was not aware of a way for the block system to be used outside of the IPS framework itself to display content in something like Wordpress or Joomla, etc.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

External embeds are done with 2 code blocks which are provided when you choose to embed, and those should be able to be added to any template/page in Wordpress or any static HTML page, but it would have to be at the template level.

That said, I am unaware of how WP works exactly. If they do not allow you to customize pages in a similar way as we do with the Theme controls, it might not be possible.

15 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Ahhh I see now.  I had to actually go back and do this myself.  Once the block is defined, back at the main block selection screen in the drop down is an option for external embed.  

I learned something new today!  Thank you very much!

thanks for asking this. another clarification is always good and useful!

2 hours ago, Mark H said:

That's correct, the Pages application is required for external embedding.

I have gone ahead and updated the account to include pages - as mentioned before I hadn't added that. 

I did update / refresh the key and it now shows that pages is checked, however when I go to the sidebar / menu or search for pages it is not showing. 

Do I need to wait for a bit for it to actually be propagated inside the admin area? 

Maybe I'm missing something simple but I couldn't find anything in the forum support that would be a step that I missed. so - after purchasing the upgrade to include pages and refreshing the license inside the admin area, how do I go about getting started or finding the actual page section. thanks!

Just now, Rebecca Jorgensen said:

thanks for asking this. another clarification is always good and useful!

Anytime.  It was a learning experience for myself...  so I appreciate the chance to pickup something new.

Also for your own reference later...  once you create the block, the embed code will give you two snippets you will need to use:

• The "boot loader" which will need to be added to your Wordpress global template in either in your <head> tag, or just before the </body> tag.  (I would suggest putting this in the global template so that you only have to do it once and can embed IPB blocks on ANY page on your Wordpress site.)  This handles loading the CSS and other template stuff needed.  That code will look something like:
    <script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.YOURDOMAIN.COM/applications/cms/interface/external/external.js' id='ipsWidgetLoader'></script>

• Wherever you want the block content itself to appear, add the embed block code that will look something like:
    <div id='block_SOME_MD5_HASH_PROVIDED_BY_IPB' data-blockID='YOUR_BLOCKNAME' class='ipsExternalWidget' data-inheritStyle='true'></div> 

1 hour ago, Mark H said:

Yes, you do need to install the Pages application. Please follow this Guide:

starting in the section titled "Adding a newly purchased application".

not to be such a pest- and I totally appreciate the help!

I have downloaded the file. when I extract the zip file, I don't see pages under the applications. I see forums, gallery, calendar - not pages. 

Also, when you click on those I don't see any tar files.  

I'm pretty capable, but feel a little stuck again.  

In looking at any of the files inside the zip - I'm not seeing any tar extensions only additional files and txt. 

You would see "CMS" which is actually the pages application. You dont add items via  tar. As mentioned in the documentation there, you upload a fresh set of files, then visit site features>application where you will see it in the list available to install. If you are on the latest release with all patches added, you can actually just upload applications/cms if you wish

6 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You would see "CMS" which is actually the pages application. You dont add items via  tar. As mentioned in the documentation there, you upload a fresh set of files, then visit site features>application where you will see it in the list available to install. If you are on the latest release with all patches added, you can actually just upload applications/cms if you wish

so what you're saying is that the file that has pages is actually named cms?

Also - where is the tar file?  There is no tar file inside the zip.  

I did get the cms file (thanks for clarification on that, was looking for a long time for that pages file) uploaded. 

it's showing the file however when I go into applications and try to install it - it gives me this error 

2C133/4 The application you are attempting to install appears to be installed already. To reinstall the application you must first uninstall it.

I don't understand why this isn't a little more straight forward. 

Why with the invision community synced with my licence key notice that I have permission to use the pages (which is actually file cms on the install) and have it auto populate.  

Quite frustrated with the whole process at this point. 

Sorry to complain! just a bit of ring around the rosy

It's not "a" file, it's the files and subfolders within  the ./cms/ folder.

But that error you see suggests that you have, or had, Pages installed at one point in the past.

On the ACP -> Applications page, do you see Pages listed twice? Once in the top list, but also in the Uninstalled list?

OK, that explains it. Somehow you do have a copy of Pages installed, but it is now out of date.

The solution is to now upload the entire set of new files (not just the ./cms/ folder) with a fresh download from the Client Area making sure all files transfer without error.

Then visit the upgrade URL for your site (domain.com/admin/upgrade/) and complete the upgrade. That should resolve the problem, but if it does not please lease let us know.