Social Media Promotion Bug: Facebook Parameters Out of Date

So I'm trying to take advantage of the social media promotion / Our Picks feature on my forum, and while Twitter integration is working as intended there is some sort of fatal error preventing me from connecting my community to my Facebook Page. When going through the AdminCP, I'm told to head to Facebook and sign in to grant the following permissions:

'manage_pages'

'publish_pages'

However when I click the links to head off-site and onto Facebook, the following error is thrown at me every single time.

Invalid Scopes: manage_pages, publish_pages. This message is only shown to developers. Users of your app will ignore these permissions if present. Please read the documentation for valid permissions at: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/permissions

I have done some digging and it turns out that both "manage_pages" and "publish_pages" are actually deprecated Facebook Page parameters since mid-2020, which I am assuming is leading to the errors here.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/permissions/reference/manage_pages/

On May 5, 2020, we released six new Page permissions to replace the manage_pages and publish_pages permissions.

Please visit our V7.0 Blog post, Graph API Changelog, and Pages API Overview for more information.

Classic case of Facebook changing its code every five minutes... but it does mean that IPB's software urgently needs to be updated in order for this feature to work correctly now.

Can we please get this addressed in the next bugfix update?

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Thanks for the follow-up Matt - makes sense, Facebook changes their whole API every five minutes! Zapier isn't really something I'd have the budget for, so hopefully this can also be solved by a marketplace app from a community developer or something.

Zapier has a free tier which works really great for most stuff. 

Appreciate the responses - I've thought about it some more, and while the position you're leaning towards does make sense, I'm hoping that you might reconsider and feel that this may be worth the extra dev effort. I've really come to admire the Promote feature of the IPS software, and I feel its purpose was to offer a one-stop solution for community admins to broadcast interesting content across their connected social media platforms. I figured that this could be a really cool USP for the IPS software that could expand to things like Discord, Instagram, Tumblr etc connectivity too. It'd be a shame if this feature stopped at Twitter and reversed course with Facebook. But, I understand if you have other priorities.

I know there are third party solutions like Zapier that can help make things like this work, but what I love about the IPB software is the potential for its all-in-one built in solutions (it's a reason why I purchased Pages, with the intent to adapt it to a blog that I can migrate my Wordpress over to one day). At least, I hope there is a means for community plug-in developers to build something for Marketplace that can fill the gap and add/fix Facebook to the baked-in Promote service.

Edited by Dreadknux

19 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Appreciate the responses - I've thought about it some more, and while the position you're leaning towards does make sense, I'm hoping that you might reconsider and feel that this may be worth the extra dev effort. I've really come to admire the Promote feature of the IPS software, and I feel its purpose was to offer a one-stop solution for community admins to broadcast interesting content across their connected social media platforms. I figured that this could be a really cool USP for the IPS software that could expand to things like Discord, Instagram, Tumblr etc connectivity too. It'd be a shame if this feature stopped at Twitter and reversed course with Facebook. But, I understand if you have other priorities.

I know there are third party solutions like Zapier that can help make things like this work, but what I love about the IPB software is the potential for its all-in-one built in solutions (it's a reason why I purchased Pages, with the intent to adapt it to a blog that I can migrate my Wordpress over to one day). At least, I hope there is a means for community plug-in developers to build something for Marketplace that can fill the gap and add/fix Facebook to the baked-in Promote service.

The problem here is its simply becoming too difficult for the average user to set up, and we are changing items constantly in an effort to keep up with a constantly changing environment unfortunately. Zapier would resolve that issue on both counts

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 8:04 AM, Matt said:

Hi there,

I think it's likely that we'll remove native Facebook promotion support as it's becoming close to impossible to keep up and also to get apps approved. A likely replacement will be using Zapier to promote to Facebook.

Does this mean we will have the ability to utilize "Featured" or "Promoted" content as a Zapier trigger? 

Currently, I have no way of promoting content that has been selected and/or featured via Facebook. For example, I am trying to create a Facebook/Instagram post when a Gallery Image is marked as Featured or Promoted. The current options do not allow for this.

Would love to do the same with blogs and topics. 

On 6/21/2022 at 2:34 AM, kotaco said:

Does this mean we will have the ability to utilize "Featured" or "Promoted" content as a Zapier trigger? 

Currently, I have no way of promoting content that has been selected and/or featured via Facebook. For example, I am trying to create a Facebook/Instagram post when a Gallery Image is marked as Featured or Promoted. The current options do not allow for this.

Would love to do the same with blogs and topics. 

Take a look at

We have added a new webhook for an upcoming release which is fired when a content item was fired 🙂  

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I'm trying to reactivate this feature on my IPS site as well. (I was successfully using this feature a couple years ago until Facebook has changed the graph API as @Dreadknux mentioned above) However, as of IPS 4.7.1, this feature is still relying on the deprecated Facebook permission, as shown in the screenshot below. Does that mean this feature is basically useless, unless I chose to do the Zapier integration for this task? In my opinion, this feature, along with Twitter promotion, is really useful for my website and should not be abandoned. 

Please reconsider to maintain this feature and update it to compatible with new Meta's requirement. Thank you in advance.

image.thumb.png.d76abf65ffbc41845f1bfd00299cfc0d.png

1 minute ago, Foolboy said:

Hello there,

I'm trying to reactivate this feature on my IPS site as well. (I was successfully using this feature a couple years ago until Facebook has changed the graph API as @Dreadknux mentioned above) However, as of IPS 4.7.1, this feature is still relying on the deprecated Facebook permission, as shown in the screenshot below. Does that mean this feature is basically useless, unless I chose to do the Zapier integration for this task? In my opinion, this feature, along with Twitter promotion, is really useful for my website and should not be abandoned. 

Please reconsider to maintain this feature and update it to compatible with new Meta's requirement. Thank you in advance.

image.thumb.png.d76abf65ffbc41845f1bfd00299cfc0d.png

Please see the response above from my colleague

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/464562-social-media-promotion-bug-facebook-parameters-out-of-date/?do=findComment&comment=2882896