upgrade from self-hosted to Invision-hosted recommended?

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hi all,

as I lost my awesome IT-team and haven´t found a new one yet, I am on the brink of choosing the cloud-version. 

I hope someone can help me with the decision:

1)
Could I keep the self-hosted domain xyz.com/community? Or would it need to be community.xyz.com then? If the latter that would not be that efficient for SEO as far as I know.

2)
How tricky is the migration to the cloud-version? And how tricky would it be in the case of in a few years going back to self-hosted?

Thx in advance, great community!

Michael

• Solution

1)
Could I keep the self-hosted domain xyz.com/community? Or would it need to be community.xyz.com then? If the latter that would not be that efficient for SEO as far as I know.

You cannot use subfolders on the cloud platform, so you would need to use a subdomain as you suggest there.

2)
How tricky is the migration to the cloud-version? And how tricky would it be in the case of in a few years going back to self-hosted?

Its something we would manage for you. We would simply need to be provided backups at the relevant points in transfer (we would let you know at the time when needed), and add CNAME entries to your domain we would provide.

With regard moving back if you wished to do so, we could provide a backup of your uploads, any other files specific to your site, and the database. We would also provide instructions on what to restore to get your site online. Of course how tricky you find that would depend on your own ability.

Also...  to make the move easier... once you have community.xyz.com in place, you can create a redirect on your old server to redirect all requests to your new community.xyz.com domain.  That way your old bookmarks don't stop working, and users don't get lost along the way.  

You can use something like the following on your old forum's .htaccess to redirect:

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/community/(.*)$
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://community.xyz.com/%1 [R=302,NC]

Edited by Randy Calvert

40 minutes ago, Ihia said:

I hope I am not veering off topic here but I am trying to locate the Price List for the various Cloud hosting options.

I used to have it but cannot find it now could someone give me a direct link.

Sure thing, our pricing can be found by clicking "Pricing" in the top right of our website or directly at: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

Just now, Jim M said:

Sure thing, our pricing can be found by clicking "Pricing" in the top right of our website or directly at: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

Hi Jim

Thanks. Yeah I have that one but the prices are different to what I saved before. That's the answer tho so thank you.

I do have one question, I hope OK to ask here

We are on the Corporate package and that page says "unlimited media storage". I also understand that you use AWS. We are paying AWS "separately" for image hosting. I am trying to work out why we do that. I realise this would be MY problem, not yours.

6 minutes ago, Ihia said:

Hi Jim

Thanks. Yeah I have that one but the prices are different to what I saved before. That's the answer tho so thank you.

I do have one question, I hope OK to ask here

We are on the Corporate package and that page says "unlimited media storage". I also understand that you use AWS. We are paying AWS "separately" for image hosting. I am trying to work out why we do that. I realise this would be MY problem, not yours.

Our package plans and pricing recently changed so what you payed and were restricted to previously may not be now. It looks like you need to upgrade all your plans respectively and should have received an email about this. On our new plans, many of the higher ones have unlimited storage. You may need to re-evaluate your strategies and what you're paying for and compare it with what we offer now when you upgrade.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Our package plans and pricing recently changed so what you payed and were restricted to previously may not be now. It looks like you need to upgrade all your plans respectively and should have received an email about this. On our new plans, many of the higher ones have unlimited storage. You may need to re-evaluate your strategies and what you're paying for and compare it with what we offer now when you upgrade.

Hi Jim

That makes sense and thank you. Sorry to hijack this thread.