Disable applications, plugins, and themes with constant.php

Hatsu

Very often misconfiguration and outdated third party additions in your software makes the software unuseable. Even so that you're not able to login in into ACP and disable them manually.

It would be a good feature to set a variable in the constants.php to disable all(!) third party additions and the community loads with the default IPS modules.

I don't know how complicated this is to implement but it would give the user some hint that something wrong was installed.

(PS: Why is your subject length so short?)

8 hours ago, Hatsu said:

(PS: Why is your subject length so short?)

SEO. 

Google typically displays the first 50–60 characters of a title tag in the search results. If you keep your titles under 60 characters, you can expect about 90% of your titles to display properly. It can improve the click rate.

9 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Or you set this and login to then disable things...

<?php
define('RECOVERY_MODE',True);

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this.

57 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

SEO. 

Google typically displays the first 50–60 characters of a title tag in the search results. If you keep your titles under 60 characters, you can expect about 90% of your titles to display properly. It can improve the click rate.

Ah okay. So crappy user experience because Google thinks this is enough.

35 minutes ago, Hatsu said:

crappy user experience

Sometimes long titles can produce crappy user experience as well. The space for title in different templates is limited. Using long titles can look crapy, e. g. in breadcrumbs, in listings, in blocks etc... For me, I do not like long titles, not because of SEO but of compact views I prefer. It's a matter of taste, also.

On my own boards I have removed the limit, because it seems that google doesn't care that much about the length. According to https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-title-tag-length/400682/#close the community came up with this  based on what google displays (depending on the used device) 

Title tags that are longer than what Google displays in the search engine results pages (SERPs) will be shown cut off, which means that nobody will be able to read the full title tag in the SERPs if it’s longer than approximately 70 characters.

Many SEOs and SEO websites recommend a title tag length of approximately 50 to 70 characters because that’s what Google shows in the SERPs.

But that is not anything Google recommends to the SEO community. That 50 to 70 character length for a title is something the SEO community invented as a standard based on what Google is able to display.

11 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

On my own boards I have removed the limit, because it seems that google doesn't care that much about the length. According to https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-title-tag-length/400682/#close  the community came up with this  based on what google displays (depending on the used device) 

In your source:

Title Tag Length Recommendations Are Not for Ranking Purposes

I agree with this. I still think that click rate (not ranking!) can be improved if the user understands the full meaning of the title at once. See an example:

screenshot-2021_11.21-10_09_33.thumb.png.a9ad52827566858d74fb06efb4e02899.png

The full length of title is: Gary Illyes Explains Why He Does Not Recommend Title Tag Length. The meaning is not obvious if the title is truncated.

Edited by Sonya*