Deleting quotes on mobile device

stu_m

Does anyone else have an issue where if you quote someone using a mobile device then try and delete the quote its pretty much impossible to delete it from the editor? 

I can delete the text within the quote but not the quote box! 

This is happening in Chrome and on my forum as well as this one 

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2021 at 7:57 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

You dont seem to have said what mobile device you are using there. Please could you clarify? You should be able to click after the quote, then backspace to delete it

Sorry seem to have missed this reply 

I am using a Samsung s20 fe so android 

I have a few people who have all complained about this issue all with different phone models and different browsers 

Deleting quotes and also trying to delete a use tag too 

I’m posting this from an iPhone right now. I quoted this message earlier and then the quoted text box. At that point I see a crosshairs option in the top left of the quoted text box. Click on it. At that point the entire box should be highlighted in a blue outline. Once you see that blue outline, then click delete.  That will remove it for you. 

This works when I tested in both Safari and Chrome.

Edited by Randy Calvert

18 hours ago, stu_m said:

Sorry seem to have missed this reply 

I am using a Samsung s20 fe so android 

I have a few people who have all complained about this issue all with different phone models and different browsers 

Deleting quotes and also trying to delete a use tag too 

Is this on the latest release of our software and with all third party add-ons disabled (including editor plugins)? Is this something you're able to reproduce here on our community?

Just now, Jim M said:

Is this on the latest release of our software and with all third party add-ons disabled (including editor plugins)? Is this something you're able to reproduce here on our community?

Yes yes and yes 

After I posted above I I tried it on here and I have the same issue I am using Chrome but its the same in firefox and ecosia

2 minutes ago, stu_m said:

Yes yes and yes 

After I posted above I I tried it on here and I have the same issue I am using Chrome but its the same in firefox and ecosia

Thank you for answering. What version of Android are you running?

I made this video last night 

If you press delete it just deletes the text in the quote box then it will close the keyboard and keeps closing the keyboard 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fiQgh6JzjQfsEuqR6

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Thank you for answering. What version of Android are you running?

Android 11 

@Jim M I have just found the issue I believe! 

I use swiftkey keyboard on my phone and I have just changed it to the Samsung one and all worked fine 

2 hours ago, stu_m said:

I use swiftkey keyboard on my phone and I have just changed it to the Samsung one and all worked fine 

A third party keyboard may cause an issue, yes. I also am unable to reproduce this with the built-in keyboard.

26 minutes ago, Jim M said:

A third party keyboard may cause an issue, yes. I also am unable to reproduce this with the built-in keyboard.

Gboard, the default keyboard on a OnePlus 8, produces this after tapping the + on a quote and then tapping the delete key:

Screenshot_20220103-195056.thumb.jpg.cd08e5adf4f334c47d0624049a116958.jpg

Always has, and I'm not bothered to enter into the game of chance to get it resolved.

17 hours ago, Jim M said:

A third party keyboard may cause an issue, yes.

No. This is a CKEditor bug and it occurs from the beginning! And you probably know it well because it has been reported more than once. 😉

It is the same with user mentions, you cannot delete them either. And another bug is with emoji, if we add an emoji and a new line, then the emoji is just pressed onto the icon, but we can no longer remove it or return to the line above.

I've tested it on many browsers and mobile devices and it's always the same.

The only thing left for us to do is wait for CKEditor v5. Maybe in 4.7.0?

Edited by SeNioR-

It is very likely the issue there is with ckeditor, however our devs have been looped into this, so will respond once its reached. I do need to point out however, we would only generally support stock items. If you are adding 3rd party items to your mobile, there is only so much we can do to support these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just curious if there's been any movement on this?  My forum is now updated to 4.7.1 (from 4.4.x), and I'm having users report that this is still an issue.  I'm glad to see I can delete quote boxes on my iPhone using the stock Safari browser, but it seems some people with Android devices are still having issues.

Thank you,

..Al

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed in CKEditor.  It's also very difficult sometimes to split a quote in the editor on desktop (probably mobile as well).  That is, you can often hit "return" as many times as you'd like, and it doesn't split the quote into two.  This is much more annoying to me than the inability to delete a quote on a mobile device, since I mostly interact with forums on my computer.