Failed upgrade 4.5.4.2 to 4.6.8

Go to solution Solved by JReviews,

Hi

I attempted the upgrade today and got the error in the screenshot after which the site became unusable. Unfortunately the errors are not detailed enough to be actionable. I was able to revert to a backup. Would it be possible to get the steps needed to fix this so the upgrade doesn't fail? I've also updated the Stored Access Info in the client area.

Using MySQL v8.0.22 in case that makes any difference.

Thanks

Alejandro

image.thumb.png.fc977575ced144516942dc7322c81abe.png 

Edited by JReviews

Set up a staging site, converted a handful of tables from MySQL to innoDB and that one upgraded without errors. Hopefully I can repeat that on production with the same results.

Would be nice to have advance notice that this is going to make the upgrade fail though a check in the updater.

Spoke to soon. Something weird is going on. Now the production site (which was still in the older version) is having errors after setting up the staging site as if they are connected, but the configuration files point to different databases and the sites have separate filesystems.

I was able to use the support area to clear the cache once, but after that it no longer loads. I just get an empty content area there, with sidebar and nothing related to support. And the production forum thinks it's on the latest version, even though I had restored from a backup and then cloned the site to create the staging version which is upgraded and seems to works fine.

On the front-end of the production site I see this error:

[[Template core/front/global/mobileNavigation is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] [[Template core/global/global/includeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And I can't run the support tool because it doesn't load and the front-end is now unusable. 

• Solution

Thanks Marc. Yes, I understand the template problem is unrelated. It is a direct result of putting together a staging site on the same server.  I think I got it now. I noticed that when clearing the cache on staging, if I didn't do anything else there the production site started working. I updated the config file on staging to disable the cache and set the new storage path, even though I am not sure if it's used when cache method is set to None. This appears to have fixed it.

\define( 'STORE_METHOD', 'FileSystem' ); // Redis
\define( 'STORE_CONFIG', '{"path":"/path/to-staging"}' );
\define( 'CACHE_METHOD', 'None' ); // Redis