Storage Settings wiped out - site crashed

Go to solution Solved by sound,

This has happened twice now, two weeks apart

first time was saving an article and then the second time was saving a forum post

both times the save failed and the site was unusable directly afterwards

on looking both times the 'storage settings' all had resorted to the first directory and my invision license number had also been wiped

as my theme files was in a different directory than the first directory this crashed my site

to recover I had to re-enter all my 'Storage Settings' to their past settings and then delete the 'datastore' directory contents

this got then got site back to an useable state

have read 2 or 3 members on here having similar experience with their 'Storage Settings' being reset 

My first recommendation would be to upgrade to the latest release as you're running 1 release behind currently.

Is there anything running on your server at time of this happening? (e.g. server/database backup, database cleanup tasks, etc...)

Are all permissions set correctly to your datastore directory that the system is able to  read/write/delete?

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

My first recommendation would be to upgrade to the latest release as you're running 1 release behind currently.

Is there anything running on your server at time of this happening? (e.g. server/database backup, database cleanup tasks, etc...)

Are all permissions set correctly to your datastore directory that the system is able to  read/write/delete?

thanks for reply, but the current site this happened is running the latest version ( acp support access is set up for another site)

nothing running database wise as far as aware, nothing in logs either

two other possible similar occurrences are mentioned here

1 minute ago, sound said:

thanks for reply, but the current site this happened is running the latest version ( acp support access is set up for another site)

nothing running database wise as far as aware, nothing in logs either

two other possible similar occurrences are mentioned here

Could you please clarify which site this is happening to? The site you selected for this topic is on 4.6.7. 

• Solution
21 hours ago, Jim M said:

Could you please clarify which site this is happening to? The site you selected for this topic is on 4.6.7. 

ok seems a communication problem here, maybe my fault for posting in here, I don't need to give support access as have resolved it for now, was posting really to raise awareness as this has now happened for the second time, and have read others having similar occurrences

thanks

18 hours ago, sound said:

ok seems a communication problem here, maybe my fault for posting in here, I don't need to give support access as have resolved it for now, was posting really to raise awareness as this has now happened for the second time, and have read others having similar occurrences

thanks

Could I ask what the issue was there? That may be helpful to others

23 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Could I ask what the issue was there? That may be helpful to others

still a mystery why it happened 

there was a third party app which had some storage extension errors but can't say if that was the cause

resolved it by simply changing my storage settings set up so if it happened again it would not have the same effect on the site

eg now use the first setting for themes etc

Edited by sound

1 minute ago, sound said:

still a mystery why it happened 

there was a third party app which had some storage extension errors but can't say if that was the cause

resolved it by simply changing my storage settings set up so if it happened again it would not have the same effect on the site

eg now use the first setting for themes etc

No problem. Glad you managed to get it sorted in any case. Thank you for the feedback