Possible promotion permission issue...

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I've mentioned before I have group promotion and also using the new moderate content but I think there may be a bug that is hard to trace.

all users start in Curious Group (registered with 0 content) that group has setting to moderate their first post. Once they have ONE approved post they are moved to the Newbies Group.  That group had no restrictions on moderation and when they have 5 approved posts they are moved to Members.

However a new user with that had 7 post still had content moderation enabled. So I am wondering if the moving groups at the same time a group threshold is being tested perhaps something happens where the user is promoted first and the moderation is not released?

I say it's hard to track when others are approving posts and I see it on occasion, where I have to edit moderation on a member. 

37 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

just updated them.

Thank you. Looking at this, it looks like the user with ID 120360 has had restrictions manually added to their account 2 hours ago for a period half a day almost. However, apart from that, the user does not have any restrictions on the account.

10 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

This must be conflicting with the new Spam options: 

I wonder should this be released if they have had an approved post? 

1252189289_ScreenShot2021-11-01at1_37_56PM.thumb.png.92699899b51f3c5b0c690b06c3bac6ca.png

You are stating to require approval for 5 days so no. That would hold regardless as there is no further clause.

Ok it has to be this setting because there are no other settings that put in a hard coded date delay. 

Once any mod or myself approves a first post they should't have any further restrictions  - the goal of all this is to shield users from spammers (that comes and goes on occasion) lately it's been less.

But the group promotion doesn't release this as there is not an option to do so in the target Group permission:189621131_ScreenShot2021-11-01at2_10_57PM.png.8fc2289696666a5a3a84df7ff0d90709.png

There should be another toggle or option to remove any restrictions once a person is promoted. 

yea I guess I miss-understood the feature - I suppose it's good if you are under active attack by spammers who just registered.

Makes more work for moderators and new real users who wish to contribute actively, forcing you to manually approve every post for X days.

It doesn't help when a spammer creates a sleeper account and then start spamming after the waiting period. 

It feels to me it overrides and or conflicts with existing promotion rules & group permissions.

Perhaps in the future a tighter integration or features to explore to balance between preventing spam and reducing moderator workload.

One thing would be a quicker more obvious method to see who is under restriction and remove moderation restriction.

Such as:  Approve This Post  | Approve this and Future Posts

• 2 weeks later...