How to create a french translation ?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hi, 

Maybe I've posted in the wrong section, so I try here : I want to produce (and sell in the Marketplace) my own french translation, but in my current licence I don't own all the options (missing downloads & blogs). Is it possible to get only a "strings" file to make a translation without having to buy all the licence options ?

Thankyou,

D

No problem, dude, all good ☮️ 

Why don't you start translating the applications you already have (Core, Forums, ...) and sell those as single downloads instead of offering an incomplete translation of the whole suite.

This way you could start to raise some money and from that you can buy the next app, translate and sell it too and so on.

The good sideeffect is, admins can choose and buy the translations they need instead of buying a more expensive full translation.

So win/win?

OK, I've already started to translate the mods I have. I'm a bit surprised by the strings and stringnames I see... for example regarding achievements part, most of the strings are prefixed achievements___something, that sounds good ; but for some there is "cheev__something" or even "cheeve__something", this does not look serious - at all - to me...

And, but, woooh, but.. why ? Yes, why there are 5-10 strings with the exact same definition (regarding months or week days for example), even in the same application (!!??). 

Anyway... I'm currently at ~4,3% translated strings...

Edited by Dexter_X

so "warn_cheeve_point_reduction" needs abbreviation but "__defart_content_record_comments_title_plural" doesn't ? 🤔

Regarding the "use-cases", sorry and with all due respect, but for months or week days I don't get the point (?), and why so much distinct use-cases when in the end the string and the output are exactly the same ? even translated ? this is not the definition of a distinct use-case I know...

I'm also a developper, more on embedded systems, and we need to manage stringchains too, more in order to reduce memory space (so the purpose is to avoid duplicated stringchains). We always have core stringchains that could be used by any module/app so it does not need to duplicate it (!!!) And here I see something that I can call a waste of time, readability and energy as well for us than for you : how do you find what you need in those near to 20'000 stringchains ??? Or you simply create a new one each time you need instead of search if it already exist ??

I'm a bit confused...

Edited by Dexter_X

• Management

We often have what looks to be duplicate strings, but the context can be very different and in the past we have had requests to ensure that separate translations for each context is available.

What makes sense for us in English, German and French doesn't in Korean, Chinese, etc.

Hi Matt, thankyou for your answer.

You're maybe right, I don't know about Korean neither Chinese, or some other languages with a syntax very far from ou western languages, but even for french or spanish some strings are already hard to translate (unable to change the order of the dynamic parameters "%s : %s", there is not always a number to set them in the right place : I need to turn out the sentence in a "passive mode" with much more words, but it is not always possible neither), so allow me to keep a doubt on the good willing of that reasoning...

There are times where things where capitalization or punctuation, or having a plural version could be in play.

For example:

"an IP address"
"the IP addresses"

The challenge is that the BASE language is English...  meaning there are multiple strings to handle situations like the above.  Different languages may not need all 20 of the variations, but because English is the base, you could end up with the same entry multiple times.  

English is the most backwards language in the world and breaks almost all of its own rules.  

ok, thankyou you're certainly right... I've already translated other CMS with english as base language, but I've never seen so much repeated terms among the strings... Maybe because they were less rich than Invision's Community (?) 
I've never seen neither so much "diversity" on string names associated to a same module/application : usually you use the same prefix to avoid misunderstandings. 

Another "thing" I'm beginning to discover is some - little - inconsistencies like sometimes it is a "user" and others it is a "member". Maybe user refers to "any user, including guests" and member only to registered users (?) It is hard to see where the strings are used to understand how they need to be translated... Unless I'm maybe missing some "special development mode" making translation more contextual-visible (?)

Edited by Dexter_X

On 11/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, Matt said:

We often have what looks to be duplicate strings, but the context can be very different and in the past we have had requests to ensure that separate translations for each context is available.

I ask one thing though, you have created the "Theme Differences" tool, because your team does not develop something similar for the language strings as well?

I use github to do this and upload .xml files, however, it's not a convenient thing....