seo suggestion - removal of &do=getLastComment

sound

promoted by the recent seo improvements post 

a suggestion

if when recording the 'last_poster_name' username in the 'forum_topics' table,  invision also recorded at the same time the id # of the actual 'lastpost' in a new column

could the many "&do=getLastComment" redirects then  be  replaced with a direct url link ? 

eg

forums/topic/463744-seo-suggestion-removal-of-dogetlastcomment/?tab=comments#comment-2869177

Edited by sound

Unfortunately, it's not really that simple. You can have posts that are hidden or unapproved that may or may not be visible to the person the link is loading for, and depending on those hidden posts, the actual last post might be on a different page.

We have effectively removed these kinds of redirects for guests though in the SEO updates, I think you'll like the results.

1 hour ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Unfortunately, it's not really that simple. You can have posts that are hidden or unapproved that may or may not be visible to the person the link is loading for, and depending on those hidden posts, the actual last post might be on a different page.

We have effectively removed these kinds of redirects for guests though in the SEO updates, I think you'll like the results.

I'd suggest that the last_poster_name may be the key to this

as in

the  'last_poster_name'  is updated when moderation has taken place such as hiding posts

so then a proposed 'last_comment_post_id" could be updated as well at that same time, yep? 

for pages - if the 'posts' value is more than 'topic_per_page' setting + 'topic_hidden posts' value - then use either maths to work out url or the redirect

though on one of my sites only 6% of topics have more than 1 page

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

As Stuart mentions, a permalink has to be dynamic to account for issues arising when deleting posts (the page may change) or merging topics, etc. However, it's of little use to guests so they have been removed in November's release.

maybe as said above the last_poster_name changing may be the key to getting around the deleting /merging topics... if that is always valid then the post_id could in theory be as well... maybe

Edited by sound