Time discrepancy in Most Recent Member

Go to solution Solved by Gabriel Torres,

Hi,

Please refer to the screenshot below. From time to time we are seeing users listed in the "most recent member" block with a date/time in the future. I checked this particular user and his timezone is set the same as mine (this user created his account using the Facebook integration, if that helps). I believe this is a bug. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.

image.png.5c004e1aaef102961deb0531bd2a9380.png

@Marc Stridgen locales are correct, timezone on server is correct... Not using load balancing. Using Cloudflare. Local caching with Redis.

Note: as mentioned, this doesn't happen all the time. Only sometimes. Most of the times the time there is correct.

I've just seen it happening again. The user was also registered via Facebook login. I don't know if that was just a coincidence. Will keep an eye and let you know.

Edited by Gabriel Torres

6 hours ago, Hisashi said:

Same with me, it's 2 hours early.

Correct time is 23:11 (GMT-3)

Screenshot_456.png.3d277be7c45815b10ca80b51ed4ffe17.png

If yours also a member logging in with an alternative login method?

6 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Marc Stridgen I've just seen a third occurrence, this time the user in question created his account using the Google login method. Will test this further and let you know.

Please provide a linked example if you can and we can then take a look for you

Found the problem, my timezone was set to UTC.

Screenshot_460.png.78c6bdbe573ef497e62b396af8bfdfa8.png

I went to the database and changed to America/Sao_Paulo

Screenshot_459.png.01a35dc8d71ef75ddd9fb75e8782deb2.png

This seems to be the default setting when the system cannot determine the user's time zone.

-----------

I took a test, registered on the computer and it was UTC, I tried it on my cell phone and it was America/Sao_Paulo

Edited by Hisashi

23 hours ago, Jim M said:

Is your computer/browser set to use UTC? https://webbrowsertools.com/timezone/

Opening this website showed that my computer is in the correct timezone (Brasilia time).

I wonder one possibility. Most likely that block is cached, and maybe the IPS code is caching the date/time present there based on the timezone of the user who triggered the caching, instead of using the server/website/platform's timezone.

Edited by Gabriel Torres

Hi @Marc Stridgen I've already answered this... EVERYTHING in our setup is set with the Brazilian timezone. If there were something wrong in our setup, the date/time in the "Last registered user" block would be incorrect all the time. As I'm explaining in this thread, that block is almost always with the correct date/time, but from time to time we see a "Last registered user" with a date/time in the future. Hence my opinion that the block is being cached with the timezone of the user who triggered the caching.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:01 PM, Gabriel Torres said:

Hi @Marc Stridgen I've already answered this... EVERYTHING in our setup is set with the Brazilian timezone. If there were something wrong in our setup, the date/time in the "Last registered user" block would be incorrect all the time. As I'm explaining in this thread, that block is almost always with the correct date/time, but from time to time we see a "Last registered user" with a date/time in the future. Hence my opinion that the block is being cached with the timezone of the user who triggered the caching.

It was more to emphasise where to check there, as not everyone will be aware to check in more than one place. This being the case, I have opened a ticket on your behalf, so we can get in there are take a closer look for you.

• Solution

Just a follow up: the block that I am seeing the issue is an old third-party plugin called "General Statistics", which is no longer available, and is clearly "buggy". Sorry for having bothered you guys with this! I could swear that this was a built-in  IPS block. Thanks!

Edited by Gabriel Torres

3 minutes ago, Gabriel Torres said:

Just a follow up: the block I am seeing the issue is an old third-party plugin called "General Statistics", which is no longer available, which is clearly "buggy". Sorry for having bothered you guys with this! I could swear that this was a built-in  IPS block. Thanks!

Not a problem. Glad we found the issue there