(Pages) How to use page title

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I have two databases, one with categories and on without categories. Both have an option Use page title ticked. 

1. Database with categories. Database index is set to Show categories. Page title is ignored in h1 and title tag, the database name is used instead.
  2. Database with categories. Database index is set to Show records like articles. Page title is ignored in h1 and title tag, the database name is used instead.
  3. Database without categories. Database index is set to Show record list. Page title works as desired in h1 and title tag.
  4. Database without categories. Database index is set to Show records like articles. Page title works partially and is used in title tag but not in h1, the database name is used instead.

I have used default Pages templates to test these settings:

screenshot-2021_10.07-07_03_04.png.e2ec4154725c731ca5773e27406c5fc6.png

Does it work as desired? Should page title be used in any case if ticked? For databases with or without categories, and whether to show records like articles or not.

Edit: the upper result is reproducible with Page name. If I fill out Page Title, then I get it into title tag but still not in <h1> on the page (except of case 3). There are three titles: Database title, Page name and Page Title, that seem to be used (or not) randomly depending on what settings the database has.

Edited by Sonya*

On 10/7/2021 at 7:34 AM, Sonya* said:
  • Database with categories. Database index is set to Show categories. Page title is ignored in h1 and title tag, the database name is used instead.
  • Database with categories. Database index is set to Show records like articles. Page title is ignored in h1 and title tag, the database name is used instead.

Probably it would be helpful, if this setting were not available on the databases with categories at all? This would save time figuring out, why it does not work.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I do agree that it's a bit scrappy and we will clarify this in the UI at a later date.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have tested it. This result is for all cases:

• Database name is used in H1 on the page with database.
  • Page Title is used in title tag of the page with database and as menu name
  • Page Name is used in breadcrumbs for the page with database

I have expected that Page Name will be used in H1 on the page. There would be a user-friendly way to customize the heading of the page without changing HTML in database template.