Facebook API Violation?

Go to solution Solved by opentype,

I received this as an alert regarding my Facebook Login api, but I have no idea how to fix it? Does anyone know what I have to do to fix this? Thanks!

Hi,

In working to create a great Platform experience for everyone, we ask developers to ensure the apps they build comply with our Platform Policies. Your app [redacted] doesn't comply with the following:

Platform Terms 4.b: Your privacy policy must comply with applicable law and regulations and must accurately and clearly explain what data you are Processing, how you are Processing it, the purposes for which you are Processing it, and how Users may request deletion of that data.

During testing, we found that your privacy policy doesn’t explain how users can request data deletion. Update your privacy policy to include this information before you submit an appeal.

14 minutes ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

I received this as an alert regarding my Facebook Login api, but I have no idea how to fix it? Does anyone know what I have to do to fix this? Thanks!

Hey there - I had experienced a similar issue on my own community - as a result they disabled oembed for Instagram / FB posts. 

I ended up linking them to an updated Privacy Policy and they approved my app in 12 hours.

Do you have a privacy policy in place? Did you link to it in the app setup section in FB Developers? 

BTW - if you don't have a Privacy Policy or know how to create one to include the info they want, I would suggest going on Fiverr and hiring someone to draft one up for you. I've done that in the past for other agreements and it was a great experience. Hope that helps. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jordan Miller said:

Hey there - I had experienced a similar issue on my own community - as a result they disabled oembed for Instagram / FB posts. 

I ended up linking them to an updated Privacy Policy and they approved my app in 12 hours.

Do you have a privacy policy in place? Did you link to it in the app setup section in FB Developers? 

BTW - if you don't have a Privacy Policy or know how to create one to include the info they want, I would suggest going on Fiverr and hiring someone to draft one up for you. I've done that in the past for other agreements and it was a great experience. Hope that helps. 

Yes, I have an extensive privacy policy. I guess it was missing this one thing?

On 10/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, opentype said:

The last paragraph explains exactly what to do.

Yes, that tells me what the violation is and what I need to do, but I have no idea HOW to do it. I have a privacy policy in place that has been working for years, but this addition is something new and I don't know where to find the wording or proper phrasing to correct this.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:52 AM, Fast Lane! said:

Make sure the privacy policy has a description of how users can request deletion of their private data. That is required by Facebook.

I just don't know where to find the proper wording needed. I thought Invision used to provide those details, but I can't find them.

Edited by Vegan Gaymer

• Solution
Jim M
This post was recognized by Jim M!

opentype was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

IPS won‘t provide it as it needs to reflect how YOU handle these things. What’s your process to handle privacy/deletion requests? How should people contact you? How do you handle such requests? What do you delete and what don’t you delete. That‘s all up to you. You need to flesh out these things and the put in in writing.

5 minutes ago, opentype said:

IPS won‘t provide it as it needs to reflect how YOU handle these things. What’s your process to handle privacy/deletion requests? How should people contact you? How do you handle such requests? What do you delete and what don’t you delete. That‘s all up to you. You need to flesh out these things and the put in in writing.

I see. I think that helps a lot. I thought it was related to something about facebook. Thank you!

@opentype is correct, this is a legal document which describes your policy for handling data on your community. We would only provide assistance with technical items around Facebook's APIs. For legal documents, it is always advised to contact a lawyer to ensure that your policies coincide with laws which may impact your community.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

@opentype is correct, this is a legal document which describes your policy for handling data on your community. We would only provide assistance with technical items around Facebook's APIs. For legal documents, it is always advised to contact a lawyer to ensure that your policies coincide with laws which may impact your community.

Yes, I know now. Support has been so dismissive and unfriendly in response to the question. It would have been so easy to just SAY THIS in response instead of telling me I need to go hire a lawyer. That's ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

Yes, I know now. Support has been so dismissive and unfriendly in response to the question. It would have been so easy to just SAY THIS in response instead of telling me I need to go hire a lawyer. That's ridiculous.

In your ticket you were asking us to review your privacy policy, this is why we stated for you to hire a lawyer if you need help in doing so. We are not lawyers and cannot state whether or not your privacy policy will be applicable in your scenario.

I apologize though that you did not find our support helpful and appreciate your feedback for future interaction.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

In your ticket you were asking us to review your privacy policy, this is why we stated for you to hire a lawyer if you need help in doing so. We are not lawyers and cannot state whether or not your privacy policy will be applicable in your scenario.

I apologize though that you did not find our support helpful and appreciate your feedback for future interaction.

I did not ask anyone to review my privacy policy.  I asked if there was documentation or guides for how to how to make our facebook app compliant. Anyway, thanks.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:35 AM, Vegan Gaymer said:

I did not ask anyone to review my privacy policy.  I asked if there was documentation or guides for how to how to make our facebook app compliant. Anyway, thanks.

Hey @Vegan Gaymer - I know this whole thing is a bit frustrating. When FB disabled my ability for oEmbed - it was because of a similar issue you're seeing. 

I think one thing that was important to clarify is what you do when a user requests to have their account/data deleted/removed from your community. I implemented a way for them to request for their accounts to be disabled. Do you have anything like that in place that you can link FB to?