(Pages) Display options for title field

Sonya*
Go to solution Solved by opentype,

I have a database with a field defined as title. I would like to have some characters before and after the title. I have tried

**{$formValue}**

as Listing Custom Format and Display View Format. The formats seem to be ignored for title fields. It works for all other fields. Does it work as desired?

3 hours ago, Sonya* said:

I have a database with a field defined as title. I would like to have some characters before and after the title. I have tried

**{$formValue}**

as Listing Custom Format and Display View Format. The formats seem to be ignored for title fields. It works for all other fields. Does it work as desired?

I have just checked and this doesn't work for Title fields.

My suggestion would be to edit the templates and add your prefix and suffix to the Title there?

5 hours ago, TDBF said:

My suggestion would be to edit the templates and add your prefix and suffix to the Title there?

I do. But this works only for display and listing. It is not system-wide. Notifications and activity stream use title as is. This is not critical, but I wonder why title and content cannot use format options. Even in templates. The options are there, but they are just ignored.

7 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yeah, the title and body field are “special fields”. You can’t edit them this way. Just like changing the order in the ACP doesn’t do anything. 

I can understand, that they do not want special formatting anywhere else. So that one cannot break activity stream, notifications, blocks or any other area where title and content is used. But I do not understand why they suppress formatting even in database templates. I mean, we can format every other field via format options without touching template. However, for title and content, we have to do it in template. Ridiculous. 

strange beck bennett GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 hour ago, Sonya* said:

I do. But this works only for display and listing. It is not system-wide. Notifications and activity stream use title as is. This is not critical, but I wonder why title and content cannot use format options. Even in templates. The options are there, but they are just ignored.

Yeah, if the option to edited these fields for the title and content really should be removed or should work as that would remove a lot of ambiguity when editing these settings.