Menu Navigation / iPad

NZyan
Go to solution Solved by WP V0RT3X,

I have a usability issue in my communities:

iPad users have to click twice to open first level navigation items.

Here a sample:

1707326099_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-28um08_57_52.thumb.png.296c3167bbce42ddfdbebe5b6cc60853.png

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/

If a member wants to visit the „SD Cards“ one click is fine if he uses a desktop browser.

An iPad user has to click twice:

• First click as „rollover“
  • Second click to open the link

This link is defined in the menu manager as „page“, some thing happens with „external links“.

The Leica Forum still runs 4.5.4.2 but the same issue exists in a fresh install.

There must be a solution for this, as this Invision community where I write this post, doesn't have this issue – but a different menu structure with real drop down menus.

Where can I get this solution?

Andreas

Edited by NZyan

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Have you first of all tested this on a default unaltered theme?

Yes I did. Fresh 4.6.5.1 install, update to 4.6.7 Beta 1

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If however there are submenus anywhere, it will have the same effect

Understood and agreed. If there submenus, this makes sense.

But without a submenu this makes no sense.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/ has a solution, but the software you deliver has not.

Andreas

1 minute ago, NZyan said:

Yes I did. Fresh 4.6.5.1 install, update to 4.6.7 Beta 1

Understood and agreed. If there submenus, this makes sense.

But without a submenu this makes no sense.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/ has a solution, but the software you deliver has not.

Andreas

Ours would be a bad example there, We have a custom theme, and do not have any hover menus. If you have any at all on the menu, which it looks like you have there, you would need to click twice

Marc. I see the trade off:

1. The default theme has roll-over for submenus, but iPad uses need a second click for single items without submenu.
  2. Your custom theme needs a click for opening the drop-down menu but saves a click for single items without submenu.

So far understood and accepted, both solutions have pros and cons.

Invision as forum software provider has decided for their own website that option #2 is better. But doesn't provide the same solution for paying customers?

I as your customer come to the same conclusion as you. And I think as a paying customer it's a reasonable request if I want to have a similar solution as in your show case – which this support forum is.

Andreas

@Darth Vortex That solved my issue. Not fully tested in the field but definitely the right way.

Summary from my side

• Invision Community has two options to build a navigation hierarchy: Submenus and DropDown Menus.
  • Parent items of submenus can have an own link which makes it necessary on iPads two have two clicks (as no rollover is available)
  • Parent items of dropdown menus don't have an own link

The crucial point (bug or at least usability issue im my eyes):

• If only one submenu exists, the submenu area is visible (no problem, makes sense) and all first level items need two clicks with an iPad – regardless if they have child menu items.

Solution: Use no submenus but only dropdown menus.

Andreas

Edited by NZyan
Clicks instead of links – in order to clarify