Way to Disable Upgrade Banner?

MNOfficial

Probably its possible to do it with a theme edit, i hope so.

I took some time to update from 4.5 to 4.6, because some of my plugins were not compatible, and it's really annoying to receive the same notification every single day, and every admin of the forum receives it.

Im not sure the reason behind that. Once we receive the notification one time, we know there is an update. We don't need to receive that notification every single day till we are ready to do the upgrade.

Edited by RevengeFNF

11 hours ago, MNOfficial said:

Hey, I don't know if it is at all possible, but is there a way to disable the upgrade banner that pops up every single 24 hours without updating or having to click "X" every single time??

It is a bit annoying especially if you don't upgrade right away. Once is enough or maybe a little message by the version # saying "upgrade available". This huge announcement type banner on the front end and back end is overkill. I would pay for a plugin to eliminate that.

Seeing the same message (or messages) every day even though I dismissed the same message the previous day is supremely annoying.  Unfortunately, it's not always easy to just upgrade your forum when such a message appears.  Smaller forums, sure, but when you have a large forum with a custom theme (as well as third-party themes) and various third-party plugins and applications (many of which were custom jobs written for your forum), it's non-trivial to just update your forum on a whim, especially with major revisions of the software.  I know I need to upgrade the forum, I don't need to be reminded every single time I visit my forum or ACP.

19 minutes ago, Charles said:

If it’s red then you’re ignoring security updates. All the more reason we do not allow it to be permanently dismissed. 

It would be better to show 1 time per week or even with more days between, it's not necessary to show every single day.
But there are other options, a simple notification and not a banner, it would work the same in regards of warning the Admin and not be so intrusive.

At the end, it's our community that is at risk if there is a security update, so if we decide to not update that day, it's our responsibility and there is no need for us to be constantly reminded of that.

I only updated to 4.6 on 14 of August, because only by that time a plugin to embed Streamable was updated (i even asked IPS if they could add it natively, without response), so between 25 of June and 14 of August, there was no need to show the banner constantly for 50 days, i knew there was a security update.

Edited by RevengeFNF

On 9/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, Charles said:

If it’s red then you’re ignoring security updates. All the more reason we do not allow it to be permanently dismissed. 

The problem is the recent release of IPS is not one I wish to install onto my board. Guess I'll just keep pressing "X" every 24 hours.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:00 AM, RevengeFNF said:

It would be better to show 1 time per week or even with more days between, it's not necessary to show every single day.
But there are other options, a simple notification and not a banner, it would work the same in regards of warning the Admin and not be so intrusive.

At the end, it's our community that is at risk if there is a security update, so if we decide to not update that day, it's our responsibility and there is no need for us to be constantly reminded of that.

I only updated to 4.6 on 14 of August, because only by that time a plugin to embed Streamable was updated (i even asked IPS if they could add it natively, without response), so between 25 of June and 14 of August, there was no need to show the banner constantly for 50 days, i knew there was a security update.

I completely agree. Seeing it every 24 hours is a bit much... it is up to us to either upgrade or not upgrade. It has nothing to do with a security update. It has to do with the release of the new forum release itself, and not wanting said-release installed. I could understand if a board were running 4.6 release, but not if one is still running 4.5 by choice.

39 minutes ago, FZ said:

Maybe if you wrote the software properly in the first place there wouldn't be a need for a security update. 

Really??  You gotta be kidding me. That is the most outlandish statement I’ve read in a while. Every single major software company issues security updates. What is not known today may be known tomorrow and need to be fixed.  

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Really??  You gotta be kidding me. That is the most outlandish statement I’ve read in a while. Every single major software company issues security updates. What is not known today may be known tomorrow and need to be fixed.  

I don't think it's outlandish at all. Software developers are always using security flaws to ensure their own future, that's all. If that isn't true then basically we are just being handed a new flawed product every time they release an update. 

How about this…. go ahead and write a decent sized software application first and then come back and tell us how it goes after a year. It’s real easy to sit in the wings passing judgement on things you have no clue about. 

EVERY single software application that exists has maintenance releases.  I assume you also will never have used an eraser or the delete key before because you type everything perfectly the first time. 

Logic is logic. It has nothing to do with incorrect keystrokes from the creator of the logic. Either the logic is faulty or the creator made it faulty on purpose. 

But yes, I'm not obtuse enough to state that a massive application won't have problems in logic, especially if there are multiple authors, but in reality those problems are often caused by developers who are "fixing" what ain't broke to begin with. Invision are becoming more and more culpable in this regard as we go deeper into version 4.x. So much so that I am actively looking for a replacement. 

Edited by FZ
grammar

While in an ideal world, there would of course be no security issues in any application, people will find ways to exploit any software. This is simply the nature of software. Everyone from small one man developers, to large multi billion dollar companies will experience these. Even the likes of apple released security fixes only 2 days ago, and are the largest company in the world at the time of writing.