1S160/2 Error on Site Pages

Go to solution Solved by sadams101,

My developer who is in Europe said that he's getting this error each day now when he visits my site. When he gets the error he waits for a minute or two, and then it goes away.

He believe that the error is related to a bug in the guest caching, which I have set to 3 minutes, and this might explain why it goes away after a short time. He says it only happens before he logs in, never after.

Is anyone else seeing this? What could be causing it? This never happened until I upgraded to 4.6. Here is a screen shot of when it happens:

image.thumb.png.17e58226c28972bda767b6f8eb0e7b16.png

Does this happen each visit for them? Are they the only ones encountering it? Is there a link they’re clicking or bookmark? Are there any URL parameters after your domain?

Trying to understand if anything is unique about how they’re accessing than myself or others which would render this. I, myself navigated to and around then back to your homepage but didn’t encounter this.

5 hours ago, Jim M said:

Does this happen each visit for them? Are they the only ones encountering it? Is there a link they’re clicking or bookmark? Are there any URL parameters after your domain?

Trying to understand if anything is unique about how they’re accessing than myself or others which would render this. I, myself navigated to and around then back to your homepage but didn’t encounter this.

This happens at a random point in time. I monitor the site of @sadams101
I type the site address in the address bar. Home page.
First rendering - for a split second I see some of the blocks on the home page, then an error page opens.
I open another browser - issue repeats itself. I open a third browser - the same.
I wait about a minute - when reloading, regardless of which browser site loads normally.
This happens from my office computer (Win 10) at least once a day, no matter what time.
It also happens from a home PC in the evening - (Ubuntu) - at least once, again at no matter what time..
Understandably, I've cleared the cache browsers.
My only hypothesis is that it is possible that a banned user, when trying to load a site, was the first to create a guest cache page. Until the cache expires, what I observe as a guest will happen to each guest visitor - during this cache.

Given what you said there at the end of your response, has the banned message been changed to that? If not, its unlikely that is the case. Could I ask if there is anything at the end of the URL, as mentioned by my colleague? Once we have that info, I think we will get this one into a ticket so we can take a closer look

49 minutes ago, sadams101 said:

I have not changed any messages for banned users, and when I search for that message in my languages file it is for requested_route_404.

I have also turned off my guest caching to see if this issue is related to it. 

We sent a ticket in asking for access details to your community to further investigate what was happening here as a colleague was able to reproduce this. You should have received an email with the information requested but if not, could you please update your access details in the Client Area? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

We sent a ticket in asking for access details to your community to further investigate what was happening here as a colleague was able to reproduce this. You should have received an email with the information requested but if not, could you please update your access details in the Client Area? Thanks.

I will reply to it soon, thank you, I just want to test some things first. My site is highly modified so I'm trying to go though some basic testing first.

@Charles, thank you for the input, but I don't use a CDN.

We did run more tests and the ban message is very different: 

Banned: You do not have permission to visit this site.

and what we're seeing is the 404 message with this code: 1S160/2

When I search the IPB forum for this error code, most of the results lead to issues with Google or other login methods. I guess my question is, could these somehow cause this?

• Management

Next time you see that come up, open dev tools in your browser and copy/paste all the response headers here. I wonder if there's a bug somewhere causing guest page caches to cache the banned page. Obviously I am just guessing now. One of our staff who has a clue will probably chime in 🙂 

Will do!

My developer just reported this:

I managed to imitate issue.
In a browser, I set your domain with a comma in addition.
https://www.celiac.com/,

This generates the page directly with this issue.
But from this browser I make continuously - more than a minute requests to reload this page with the this message.
Then I opened another browser and with the first load on your site and came across the same page ...
Ie guest cache page is to blame.

A few minutes ago

1519079075_Screenshotat2021-09-17232738.thumb.png.c2d105311e63cbcb511f24b1f8d00678.png

I hope you follow this, but once you create this error it will appear, even if you open a new browser and try to go to different pages.

Edited by sadams101

I managed to provoke this issue.
I added a comma from one browser to the domain, and this generated the missing page message.

https://www.celiac.com/,

I repeated the request for the page with this message constantly, for more than a minute, then I opened another browser and the first time I loaded the exact address of the site, and I came across this page with message.
Ie there is a bug in the cache guest page.

• Management
49 minutes ago, sadams101 said:

I hope we've provided you with enough clues here...please let me know. I don't plan to reply to the open ticket unless you still think it's necessary.

We already opened a ticket so we can escalate this as it’s an odd one 🙂 

• Solution

Rather than try to find the source of this issue, I've found that my site is just as fast with guest caching turned off, so I've turned it off. I've noticed other issues with guest caching, for example, my mobile banner ads regularly appear to desktop users, even though we do have the correct CSS tags that should not allow this to happen, so there are other reasons why I suspect that the caching system has issues. 

If turning off guest caching does not fix this, I will create a new ticket...thank you!

42 minutes ago, sadams101 said:

Rather than try to find the source of this issue, I've found that my site is just as fast with guest caching turned off, so I've turned it off. I've noticed other issues with guest caching, for example, my mobile banner ads regularly appear to desktop users, even though we do have the correct CSS tags that should not allow this to happen, so there are other reasons why I suspect that the caching system has issues. 

If turning off guest caching does not fix this, I will create a new ticket...thank you!

No problem. Let us know if you do need any further assistance