Dealing with injury

Marc Stridgen

When it comes to keeping up fitness, I don't think there is anything else I can think of that is common across all the different ways you can keep fit, as dealing with injuries. Whether you are a cross fitter, a runner, rower, lifter, cyclist, or champion tobogganist, we will all at some point in time end up injured.

Personally, I have been training to do my first marathon on 3rd October. However, with 4 weeks to go I started having some issues with the top of my foot. It got worse, caused more issues in my ankles, and it seems I have tendon issues. This means with 3 week to go, I cant do any long runs at all, and probably should try and avoid the short runs if I can. In the meantime, we make do with what we have.

My plan is to stretch those areas several times a day, ice them, roll them, and do anything I can do help get them to some kind of shape before the day. To keep my fitness up I am going to visit the local pool a few times between now and then, and do some pool running (I have no doubt it will look ludicrous). I can squat, possibly lunge if I am careful, do some core work and going to see if Im ok on the rower to keep my fitness levels up. But in reality, its driving my head insane and I cant wait to get moving again properly.

So, what about you? Have you had injuries that have affected events you are doing, or day to day life, due to training? How did you cope with them?

disabled-72211.jpg

I know this all too well. Sorry about the foot injury, @Marc Stridgen

Back when I was a competitive gymnast, there were too many instances I would be injured and would push through. Ended up being injured longer because I didn't listen to my body. It's a lesson I've been learning as an adult with CrossFit as well. 

I tend to be like this:

this-is-fine-meme-1024x722.jpg

Give your foot some tlc until the big day. You got this! 

One winter day when the roads were all ice, I did a 10 mile treadmill run.  I felt great, except for a minor ache on the outside of my hip.  Turned out to have a week tendon there that made its way down to my knee.  With a couple of months of PT it was a lot better.  Took a couple of years for it to be 100%.

Workout related injuries are frustrating.

The biggest key is to stop doing things that hurt and get them looked at, at least at 57.  I'm not 20 anymore where I can suck it up and work through it.

• 1 month later...

I'm always carrying a niggle or two. Currently suffering from a pulled tendon in my upper leg following a ski erg session. It's recurring and I should get it fixed but have been told it's 6-8 months in total. But there's always something crutch unfriendly in the diary, so I've lived with it for a while now. Luckily I have a Wattbike, C2, Smiths etc, so can work other areas and rest the offending parts. I should know better though. No excuses other than being well past retirement age.