Do you get enough sleep? 😴

I know all of us here work HARD. That's inherently part of being a resilient community leader. Some times, that hard work comes at expense of our sleep. We've all been there – burning the candle at both ends or working til' the wee hours of the night because we're driven to keep the wheels spinning. Thing is, sleep is imperative for our overall quality of life. 

Wondering, do you feel like you get enough sleep? If not, why? And what can you do to change that?

Here are a few things I personally try and (though I some times fail) to make sure I get the best possible sleep:

1.) Keep it cool 😎. Literally. I keep my place pretty cold at night - here's a report (of many) suggesting sleeping in a colder environment will help your overall slumber. 

2.) Put the phone away. This one is tough because of how intimately integrated we are into the digital world. I do my best to put my phone away an hour before I crash and put it on 'do not disturb' mode. The blue light and constant drip of information/notifications can be a lot on our brain activity. Putting the phone away ahead of falling asleep gives the brain a chance to chill. 

3.) Journal. Another toughy because pretty much every time I think 'meh I'll do it tomorrow,' but I force myself to anyway - even if it's just one minute - to scribble down a few things I'm grateful for or write a little goal down. I always, 100% of the time, am happy I did it afterward.

Alright team, drop a line in the comments. Do YOU get enough sleep? Do any of these tips help? Would love to hear from you. And hopefully I didn't put you to sleep 😴 😂 

1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I also journal, although I'm absolutely terrible with my phone at night. I tend to journal before I go upstairs to bed, and write down anything I need to do for t he next day. 

Love this. I'm trying to be better about my phone, too. And the journal 👌 

I tend to sleep to little 5-6 days in a row, then get a sleep day in where I catch up 🙂

I never have my phone around at home (It's for work), but I have my office in the bedroom and I love to write and try new bits of code, so the laptop(s) are always around.

As I am getting back to the gym again, it's time to rise and shine again. That means getting up at around 5am, take a 3km walk to the gym around 06.30 for an hour. Walk home, take a shower and start working at 08.30 or so.

It's a bit later than what I am used to, but the gym does not open earlier, so it will have to do.

It will be a bit better once I get new running shoes so I can run to the gym and cut down on the travel time.

• Management

Rarely. I wear a Garmin and the sleep tracking is pretty advanced, and one thing I'm working on is getting more deep sleep. I average just 30 mins a night, when it should be between 90-120 mins. I'm taking ZMA before bed (again) as this has helped me sleep deeper in the past.

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

Rarely. I wear a Garmin and the sleep tracking is pretty advanced, and one thing I'm working on is getting more deep sleep. I average just 30 mins a night, when it should be between 90-120 mins. I'm taking ZMA before bed (again) as this has helped me sleep deeper in the past.

I used to take ZMA before bed a number of years ago and I remember sleeping HAM. 👌 

Now I take 5mg of melatonin 😅

1 minute ago, Jordan Invision said:

Now I take 5mg of melatonin 😅

Used to do this a while back. Don't abuse it though. Really is hard falling back asleep on your own.

Track my sleep right now with my Apple watch. I don't believe what it says sometimes though 😄 

My watch, when I remember too ware it congratulates me on 8 hours of sleep.

I use to have a Bed-it (apple purchased them) sleep strip monitor under the sheets but it was tedious you had to remember to open the app on your phone to record the data as it streams.

However monitors don't really count for quality - especially if you need hydration in the night. 

I seldom use an alarm if the window is open I have a sense of what time it is by the ebe and flow of traffic from the freeway about a mile away at night it sounds like a distant ocean, around 4:30 it changes to more of a waterfall. I do have Hue lights that turn on gradually too. 

Mostly I am always acutely aware where my two cats are at all times. Especially when they are on the bed, when I toss and turn I have to move in such a way as not to disturb them; or they may go off with a game of the floor is lava which turns in to lively session kitty parkour. 

I have a terrible sleep pattern, some of it's PTSD, some of it is Autism, which I don't hide, and actively support recovery/support programs, there ain't nothing wrong with that, but mostly it's ideas.

It's midnight and I get an idea for a forum color change or a new launcher for my smartphone. My brain never shuts down and I constantly have to mess with something. I like to poke and prod, and have been, admittedly, banned from the Squarespace forums for that, oops. They don't like when their domains are transferred around 10 times a day, lol. In my defense, it was a security flaw that you could transfer outside the regulated 60-90 days, so if anything, I did them a favor.

Going to the gym at night helps to chill out a bit, I do it from 8 to 9. There's people who say going to the gym at night is better, but it's still the same workout. Diet is the biggest thing. Less fast food, more natural proteins like salmon help you sleep better, keep ya more full and active next day.

I get plenty of sleep, boy do I.  However I'm often tired before I wake up - sounds bizarre, but it depends on the type of sleep I get.  I have to take 10mg of Amitriptyline an hour before I go to bed, to offset my PN and allow me to sleep.  Deep REM sleep is required to replenish the body for the next day's chores and if you don't get that you will wake feeling perhaps more tired than you were before you went to bed.

You need to unwind before you go to bed, even if you're not tired try to do so at the same time each night so your body recognises your subconscious command to 'sleep'.  I tend to find that ten minutes meditation (as well as the medication lol) works well for me.  You have to find out what works best for you.

I have been having a lot of trouble with sleeping a while ago due to my job where I had to work night shifts. It went to the point that I could not sleep more than 3-4 hours if I was lucky. It was exhausting. I felt like a zombie and it drained me out completely, mentally and physically. Even when I stopped working the night shift, it took me almost half a year to get back to getting a normal night's sleep. 

I turned 40 a couple of years ago. That means one or two trips to the bathroom most nights, so solid sleep isn't really a known feature of the night-time routine any more.

I sometimes find these interruptions could help with productivity: I'll think to myself that I'm up and alert, so I may as well start the day and crack on with the to-do list, until I glance at the watch and realise it's 01:30 and I've probably not even had two hours' sleep yet. Back to bed, then ... at least for a few hours, until the emptied bladder magically reloads itself.

14 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

one or two trips to the bathroom most nights

It's possible that it takes a while for your body to process your evening fluid intake and you don't vacate that liquid during your waking hours.

You might note your last fluid intake and food high in water content before retiring for the evening. If you drink or eat between 9:00 or 10:00 pm for example on the nights you wake up you could place a limit on yourself of not drinking or eating after 8:45 pm.  Try that for a while.  If that timeframe doesn't improve things keep rolling back by 15 minutes until such time as you don't wake up at night needing to go to the bathroom. 

If that doesn't improve the situation you might benefit from visiting a doctor to determine if there is a medical cause behind it.

1 minute ago, Chris Anderson said:

If you drink or eat between 9:00 or 10:00 pm for example on the nights you wake up you could place a limit on yourself of not drinking or eating after 8:45 pm.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there, to be honest, thank you, Chris. Now that I think about it, I do often become aware that I've taken on very little by way of fluids during the day, and have some water not long before retiring. I'll try to keep track!