Welcome to Invision Community's Health Club!

Hey team, appreciate you making your way over to our new Health Club. This Club might be coming out of left field, but I think now more than ever it's important we tread into this territory as a community. 

Needless to say the world is in a really weird place right now. We thought it'd be a great idea to create a little pocket in our own community for clients to lean on each other. If you want no part of this we totally understand, but I encourage you to try and be open minded and keep this link in your back pocket. 

I know it's a bit intimidating to open up about your level of fitness, nutrition (even if it's basically non-existent right now) and your mental fitness. These are areas I personally work on and it's helped me become a better community leader.

Sure, this Club could be dead on arrival and no one will care, but perhaps it'll brighten someone's day, provide some support or even change lives. 

Feel free to "Follow" this Club forum and participate. Peace, love and broccoli. ✌️💚 🥦 

Jordan Miller
This post was recognized by Jordan Miller!

"Appreciate you sharing!"

Meddysong was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

5 minutes ago, Jordan Invision said:

Sure, this Club could be dead on arrival and no one will care, but perhaps it'll brighten someone's day, provide some support or even change lives.

I certainly welcome it, Jordan, although: 

5 minutes ago, Jordan Invision said:

your level of fitness, nutrition (even if it's basically non-existent right now)

is pretty much me.

I get my 10,000+ steps every day and start each day with 40 minutes on the treadmill but it's not very much: an earlier attempt to do something about my miserable physical state has left me with some pretty bad fractures in my shin, so I can't currently do anything which imposes an impact. As a result, I walk on the treadmill rather than jog, which I'm not sure serves much of a purpose because my heart rate never rises, as I note when I get out of breath quicker than I would like during the post-lunch stroll.

I'm afraid that a long-time sedentary lifestyle is the major culprit, as is portion control. We don't tend to eat processed foods but I cook far too much, which means that whenever we do try to limit portion sizes to something approaching the teeny recommended ones, it always feels as though we're punishing ourselves and never lasts.

Speaking of which, I've unfortunately just done the monthly shop and it's shockingly hot outside by UK standards, so I'm probably going to make a poor decision preparing dinner now. I caught a glimpse of a spare beer in the fridge when I was loading it a few minutes ago, too 😞

10 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

I certainly welcome it, Jordan

Happy to hear it!

I get my 10,000+ steps every day and start each day with 40 minutes on the treadmill but it's not very much

I'd like to point out that this awesome. It's far from not very much. It's 10,000 little victories 👍 

I'm afraid that a long-time sedentary lifestyle is the major culprit

Great point. That's another reason we thought a Health Club could be useful, because we're all sitting a lot working 😆 Maybe we can lean on each other to encourage healthier lifestyles when we're not growing our communities 😁

so I'm probably going to make a poor decision preparing dinner now. I caught a glimpse of a spare beer in the fridge when I was loading it a few minutes ago, too

I think being aware is the first most important step towards eating healthier. 👌 Don't beat yourself up. What is one small action you can take so that next time you see it's dinner time and you have to make something, or you see that spare beer, you can make a decision that you like more?

Anyway, appreciate you being the first comment (hopefully of many) in this new Club!!

16 minutes ago, opentype said:

Probably better suited for a “closed club”, so people who are not interested in it and more interested in the IPS-related tech support don’t see all the health club content all the time. 

Appreciate the suggestion! Right now the content is staying put inside the Club, so people who aren't interested in health shouldn't be seeing the content 😅 

12 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

I'm afraid that a long-time sedentary lifestyle is the major culprit

Never too late. I was absolutely terrible with health and fitness. Something that hit home when I went for a charity bike ride with my brother and a few others. 60 miles was the distance, and by the time I got back I thought someone had dragged me the whole way around. At that point, I went to a gym and got a bit fitter. I was told to set myself some short term and long term goals, so I did, and Im actually still working on the long term ones. 

Simple goal

1. Ride 100 mile - Bike
  2. Run a marathon
  3. Swim 100 length of a pool

I'd already struggled badly with 60 mile. I completed 100 and could have done more (albeit with injury lol). I had never run a mile until 2 years ago. Did couch to 5k then built up to half marathon the first year. This is my second year, and I have a marathon planned for Oct 3rd. And the last will be the biggest challenge for me. At the moment I can swim just about enough to get myself to the side of a pool without dying, but no further. I could possibly get to the end of a length but thats it. So I need to learn to swim first 😄 

49 minutes ago, Jordan Invision said:

Right now the content is staying put inside the Club, so people who aren't interested in health shouldn't be seeing the content 😅 

But that’s not how that works. Content of open clubs will be pushed to the discovery page for everyone and there is no way not to see it there. That was my point.

It would be better to close the club and then announce it outside the club to ask people to join the closed club. 

29 minutes ago, opentype said:

But that’s not how that works. Content of open clubs will be pushed to the discovery page for everyone and there is no way not to see it there. That was my point.

It would be better to close the club and then announce it outside the club to ask people to join the closed club. 

I like where your head is at. I'd like to see how this functions as an Open club first. I'm not opposed to it being a closed Club though - what you said makes a lot of sense. 

34 minutes ago, opentype said:

Content of open clubs will be pushed to the discovery page for everyone and there is no way not to see it there.

I joined just to offer my agreement. Jumping on to look at the IPS related content, there were four things about health and wellness. That's cool and all, but a distraction from the activity feeds. It's great that you're finding a way to show off clubs, yet opt-in is the way to go on something off-topic.

Start a club for self-hosted server administration or something more relevant if you want to show off the club functionality more openly.

image.png.5eebe9da6a467d87597620763292df9e.png

• Management

There is always going to be content you may not care about. That's why you can create custom Activity Streams if you want to filter.

As Matt said, it is important people interact beyond tech things and that is one point of this. You can just ignore these topics if you do not care but many do care about this subject so please try not to derail the good conversations we hope to have here. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, CoffeeCake said:

I joined just to offer my agreement. Jumping on to look at the IPS related content, there were four things about health and wellness. That's cool and all, but a distraction from the activity feeds. It's great that you're finding a way to show off clubs, yet opt-in is the way to go on something off-topic.

Start a club for self-hosted server administration or something more relevant if you want to show off the club functionality more openly.

Would it be worth considering creating a custom Activity stream? 😇  

I joined this club to see how you pro's are running a club. I have tried with clubs on one of my sites without any luck. 

I need input  as to how to best setup a club, and even the discussion about open er closed club is lesson learned 🙂 

With that said I have a personal goal of loosing 1 Kg weight pr month. I started last november and have lost 10 Kg slowly. Keeping it steady like that I will weigh next to nothing in a few years time

• Management
29 minutes ago, CoffeeCake said:

It has taken over your feed because it's a new toy we're playing with. In a day or so I'd imagine the traffic will die down and your feed will be back to normal.

18 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I joined this club to see how you pro's are running a club. I have tried with clubs on one of my sites without any luck. 

I need input  as to how to best setup a club, and even the discussion about open er closed club is lesson learned 🙂 

With that said I have a personal goal of loosing 1 Kg weight pr month. I started last november and have lost 10 Kg slowly. Keeping it steady like that I will weigh next to nothing in a few years time

Love this! Yes, this is definitely dual-purpose. We legit want to have discussions about health and wellness because it's important, and we're all working online for the most part. But also yes, this is a great way to show an example of Clubs! 

18 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Btw love this! Huge congrats to you for the journey thus far and also sharing it. Please feel free to use this Club to share more wins, ask questions and more. You got this 💪 

On 8/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, Charles said:

As Matt said, it is important people interact beyond tech things and that is one point of this.

That's a point, the other one is the very private talk especially in the topic mental health. To have this open for the whole web community will prevent me from talking there.

18 hours ago, Ramsesx said:

That's a point, the other one is the very private talk especially in the topic mental health. To have this open for the whole web community will prevent me from talking there.

That's understandable. It is a very private matter. However, it's design isn't to humiliate or isolate anyone; to the contrary! It's important people know they can lean on one another. Mental health is very taboo and I think it's important we work towards eliminating a bit of the stigma 🙂 🙏