Use ImageMagick to convert uploaded images to WebP

sobrenome

ImageMagick is used by IPS to handle uploads of images, resizing them, compressing them and creating thumbnails.

Why not give the community admin the option to use ImageMagick to convert uploaded images by users to WebP?

As long as WebP is now accepted by IPS 4.6, I imagine that would be very simple to add this feature to the suite.

I am having a great experience converting the images that I post on my community to WebP. Same quality and much less bytes than JPG or PNG or GIF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have found webp to be only marginally better, or in some cases worse then JPEG.

There's no way this format would have caught on unless it was being forced by Google. I know an image format that is (really, not Google's BS numbers) 30% smaller than JPEG and it isn't supported by any browser.

In my view, the only reason to use webp is if Google is giving ranking preference to sites that use the format (based on the format, not the file size). I think their approach has been to introduce constant change to web standards in order to make sites that can't afford to keep up obsolete. It's just a way to coursely rank content and tell which sites are being actively maintained and have the resources to keep up with constant changes. Microsoft use to do the same thing to desktop application development.

However, I can't find anything conclusive on whether they actually use the format itself as a ranking factor.

Edited by Interferon

• 2 weeks later...