Post Registration Profile Completion Step Cannot Submit

Go to solution Solved by Colonel_mortis,

Before opening a ticket on this, I wanted to make sure this isn't just something obvious that I did wrong. Our forum has added a Profile Completion Step in the last month. Over the past couple of weeks, a number of members are having trouble with this -- they are on desktops and laptops, not mobile. When they have to log-in, the required fields come up. They fill them out and hit the "Submit" button. The waiting wheel spins . . . and spins . . . and spins. Several members waited a full five minutes before closing out the screen and contacting the forum staff. On those member accounts, an Admin is having to fill in the fields through AdminCP, then the member can edit them.

Is this likely an issue, or is it something I may have configure incorrectly? Thanks!

On 8/9/2021 at 2:19 PM, Daniel F said:

Were you able to resolve this? If not, have you submitted a ticket?

Thanks for following up. No, this has not gotten fixed so far and members are still having the issue as of yesterday. I've been hesitant to open another ticket, as I have one open about another issue, but I will put the info together and open a ticket. Thanks for asking!

• 2 months later...
Matt
This post was recognized by Matt!

"Working with our dev team with so much patience and understanding."

Joachim Sandstrom was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 50 points.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, usmf said:

Before opening a ticket on this, I wanted to make sure this isn't just something obvious that I did wrong. Our forum has added a Profile Completion Step in the last month. Over the past couple of weeks, a number of members are having trouble with this -- they are on desktops and laptops, not mobile. When they have to log-in, the required fields come up. They fill them out and hit the "Submit" button. The waiting wheel spins . . . and spins . . . and spins. Several members waited a full five minutes before closing out the screen and contacting the forum staff. On those member accounts, an Admin is having to fill in the fields through AdminCP, then the member can edit them.

Is this likely an issue, or is it something I may have configure incorrectly? Thanks!

Hi.

We have the same issue which is in a ticket since Sep 2. (Ticket heading: "One user's process hangs when posting, the other's does not")

It has been escalated and analyzed throughout Invision, but nobody there has been able to even reproduce the issue.

We experience the issue on
Windows (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera)
MacOS (Safari)
IOS (Safari)

We are using two independent networks Using Wifi, 4G and cable.wo independent IPS's. We have spent several hundred working hours trying to identify the source of this (seemingly) browser stall. Several .har files exists showing 2 x 300,000 milliseconds/5 minutes stalls every time. After 2 x 5 minutes the stall resolves and the registration process moves on. But then the new member will have left in frustration. We have repeated the issue 200+ times, about 30 times today only. 

Out tests indicate that the more completion fields you have the more often you will get the stall. With ten profile completion fields we get this problem in roughly 50% of our profile completion test cases. With just one profile completion field we often are able to register 3-4 successful completions, but that is always followed by a stall - in all environments mentioned above.

We are thankfully just in test mode, and will not go live with such an issue.

• Management
15 hours ago, Joachim Sandstrom said:

Hi.

We have the same issue which is in a ticket since Sep 2. (Ticket heading: "One user's process hangs when posting, the other's does not")

It has been escalated and analyzed throughout Invision, but nobody there has been able to even reproduce the issue.

We experience the issue on
Windows (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera)
MacOS (Safari)
IOS (Safari)

We are using two independent networks Using Wifi, 4G and cable.wo independent IPS's. We have spent several hundred working hours trying to identify the source of this (seemingly) browser stall. Several .har files exists showing 2 x 300,000 milliseconds/5 minutes stalls every time. After 2 x 5 minutes the stall resolves and the registration process moves on. But then the new member will have left in frustration. We have repeated the issue 200+ times, about 30 times today only. 

Out tests indicate that the more completion fields you have the more often you will get the stall. With ten profile completion fields we get this problem in roughly 50% of our profile completion test cases. With just one profile completion field we often are able to register 3-4 successful completions, but that is always followed by a stall - in all environments mentioned above.

We are thankfully just in test mode, and will not go live with such an issue.

If customers would get gold medals for patience, you would get a dozen.

I now have 3 communities with the same issue, so I'm hopeful I'll figure it out pretty soon now.

Fwiw I've also had several reports of this since upgrading to 4.6, acking the privacy policy or validating the account. There were no corresponding requests in the backend, and from the one person who gave me some more details after it worked it seemed like the request was just super delayed in the browser. My current hypothesis is that it's a service worker issue but I have nothing to corroborate that.

• Solution
On 11/11/2021 at 8:43 AM, Matt said:

If customers would get gold medals for patience, you would get a dozen.

I now have 3 communities with the same issue, so I'm hopeful I'll figure it out pretty soon now.

You've already shipped the fix as the change to applications/core/modules/front/system/ajax.php in 106143. There's some other related bugs that I'll file a ticket for, but upgrading to that patch release fixes my local repro. (It is because of the service worker.)

Edited by Colonel_mortis

• Management
On 11/13/2021 at 12:49 PM, Colonel_mortis said:

You've already shipped the fix as the change to applications/core/modules/front/system/ajax.php in 106143. There's some other related bugs that I'll file a ticket for, but upgrading to that patch release fixes my local repro. (It is because of the service worker.)

This is great news!