Merging two IPS communities?

Go to solution Solved by Nathan Explosion,

Several years ago, a portion of our thriving community was separated into a separate IPS community on its own. It's an experiment that may not be working, so staff is starting to discuss options. Is it possible to import all posts and members from the one community into the first community? Both are running the current IPS version, etc. Totally updated.

I've been reading through posts here and doing a Google search, but no results are showing for import options since before 2020. Thanks.

Okay, this might be a silly question, but it was asked and I have no idea on the answer. 🙂

As mentioned above, we separated a large portion of our larger community into its own IPS community. This has not worked out as hoped, and now members don't like the idea of two accounts, one for each separate community, etc. Is it possible to operate two nav bar tabs in one community that go to sections both operating as a forum? That's confusing, but the main tab on our nav bar for the site is the "Forums" tab which is the current forum set-up. We then have other tabs using the Pages app, etc. Is there a way to create a second forum in the community that could show as another tab on the main nav bar? That would keep posting separate, but allow users to log in with one account in the one community.

3 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

You can also allow your members to use one Invision Community account to login to both of your communities

Hi! This is exactly the answer I needed. Thank you so much. 

Quick question. I followed the steps exactly, but when I go into Account Settings to link the account, this is what comes up:

image.png.566e16e5f843df917fc4f043277ec422.png

I even deleted the whole thing in both AdminCPs and went back through the step-by-step instructions to redo the settings. I've tried this on two accounts, both with the same result. I did verify the passwords on both. Any idea what I may have done wrong?

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 4:41 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

Use the Converter to migrate one site to the other - see https://invisioncommunity.com/services/migrate/, scroll down to the 'Platforms' section and choose "Invision Community....." to see what can be migrated.

I'd like to merge an older 4.5 installation into a newer IPB forum, is that possible using the converter? And if so, is there a guide somewhere (I've tried searching but…)?

3 hours ago, simonle said:

I'd like to merge an older 4.5 installation into a newer IPB forum, is that possible using the converter? And if so, is there a guide somewhere (I've tried searching but…)?

You would need to upgrade the installation to the latest release but otherwise, yes.