"Reverse" VAT management

Dexter_X

Hi,

In USA everybody knows the VAT is to be added to what you buy, even in public stores so the shop logics are based on a "without VAT" price where the VAT is added at checkout... The Commerce module logic uses the same principle.

Here in Europe we display prices "all taxes included", so the final price with the total amount of what you will have to pay, including VAT. 

My "problem" is that if I enable VAT management in commerce it is only a percent of the product value that is added to the "basic" (without VAT) price. It is the normal way VAT works, I agree, but it is not very useful. For europeans like me, it is a bit complex to got the exact total price you want to sell your products (displayed in the shop) by that way the price needs to be computed regarding VAT, and to get the exact amount you want including VAT you need to set prices with a 1/10000 currency precision , or 1/100 cent precision (4 digits after the dot)... but... the commerce module does not accept prices more precise than at a cent (so 1/100 currency or two digits after the dot)... So it is nearly impossible for us to use VAT and have the right price displayed... It is very visible when we want a "round" price, like 40€, by activating the VAT (here it is 7.7%) we need to set a price of 40/(1+0.077)=37.14€ , then wen the final price is displayed in the shop, we've something like 40.01€ or 39.99€... 😑

So it will be better if the VAT could be computed from the "selling all taxes included" price rather than added to a base price... At least for us in Europe where we only need to show customers the VAT they've paid. So, in other words, we set a selling price of 40€, and the customer gots a bill where it is displayed they've paid 2,86€ VAT included in that total price.

If you compare with CMS managing online shops like prestashop or Magento : this is something you can do without any problem and without a dedicated plug-in...