Redis 6 compatibility

37 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Nope, we haven't released any changes to Redis integration. We don't have any issues or tickets open for any either 🙂 

Because we are waiting on the new release. You should have seen my site was taken 250MB from the ram, and normally 70MB before the update. Now after this patch back same range 68MB, and the site seems back to how it was with 4.5 version. 

17 hours ago, Afrodude said:

Because we are waiting on the new release. You should have seen my site was taken 250MB from the ram, and normally 70MB before the update. Now after this patch back same range 68MB, and the site seems back to how it was with 4.5 version. 

On mine, it is currently at 100MB.

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2021 at 6:50 AM, David.. said:

On mine, it is currently at 100MB.

On 8/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, Afrodude said:

I have similar question. I am noticing odd pattern in reddis. Wouldn't memory consumption increase or remain same over the period? I am not able to follow how reddis consumption goes from 250MB appx to 40MB appx. 

Sharing since you folks are also using reddis and rather then creating new topic, this topic down the road, might hold useful info for other users as well.

Could contain: Monitor, Screen, Hardware, Electronics, Computer Hardware, Plot, Chart

@AlexJ what Redis version are using at this moment? I am using 7.0.8 latest stable version. 

1% (38.84M/23.27G)

1 hour ago, AlexJ said:

I am not able to follow how reddis consumption goes from 250MB appx to 40MB appx. 

This is usually happened whenever you clear your site system cache, and then once it finished building the new cache it goes down to 40MB. Is this what happen with you or there's something else? 

Edited by Afrodude

On 2/6/2023 at 12:24 AM, Afrodude said:

@AlexJ what Redis version are using at this moment? I am using 7.0.8 latest stable version. 

1% (38.84M/23.27G)

This is usually happened whenever you clear your site system cache, and then once it finished building the new cache it goes down to 40MB. Is this what happen with you or there's something else? 

Exactly - yes. So we are saying it's normal to go less memory consumption after few days? I thought cache should grow and not go less. 

1 hour ago, The Old Man said:

Redis no longer stores the page cache which could get pretty hefty, so it would be smaller than before. Apparently IPS doesn’t clear the Redis cache when you run the support tool btw.

I noticed that. had to restart Redis application.

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Redis no longer stores the page cache which could get pretty hefty, so it would be smaller than before. Apparently IPS doesn’t clear the Redis cache when you run the support tool btw.

Keys set by the software in Redis are set with an expiration, so Redis itself will remove them when they expire. It's not really feasible to blanket remove all keys from a Redis database, since it may contain data that does not pertain to the software (and that data may not be transient, like the data the software sets is).

Yeah, that was basically was Matt was saying earlier in this topic and it does indeed eventually clear by itself on an ongoing basis. I think people (like me!) are just used instant results. Agreed you can just restart it, if you server isn’t heavily loaded and you’d not see (or want avoid) impact on other pool users which may be considerations.

On a similar note it’s useful to also bear in mind, the Redis memory usage indicator can be a bit misrepresentative. It’s a system wide value, so if you have other uses (like Wordpress sites or even other IPS sites) using the same instance, you’d see the same (total) memory stat showing in different sites and communities, unlike the counts for cached topics, ads etc which are unique stats.

I’ve found with Wordpress Redis plugins they tend to let you use the built-in Redis database ID number to ‘virtually’ separate your caches which may be useful if sharing the same instance/pool across sites as it offers a bit more subtle control and more independent stats.

It would be great if IPS4 was updated to support the newer ACL User Name and Passwords format that was introduced in Redis 6 and retained in Redis 7. I’m a little surprised the big enterprise accounts we hear about haven’t pushed for that in terms of PCI security compliance.