Redis 6 compatibility

Hello,

I was asked to post this in the feedback section in response to my support ticket...

Please could you update the Redis configuration settings in Advanced Configuration, to include a USERNAME field for compatibility with the latest stable release of Redis (currently v6.2.5).

https://redis.io/download

IPS needs to be able to pass the username as part of the configuration, whereas previous it was just an optional password (due to changes that came about with the improved security and ACL feature).

https://redis.io/topics/acl

Many thanks.

Hi Afro,

Hard to say, I haven't done any specific benchmarking either with v6.2.5 or prior but I've found in my particular usage cases (site traffic, DB size, VPS specs etc) that it seems to be snappier and more responsive experience having it enabled for data store and reducing Mysql overhead enabled, but disabling Redis to cache pages, that definitely seemed to make things more sluggish. As Brandon once said, it make cost more in efficiency and resources to cache all the pages if you don't have that much traffic.

14 hours ago, The Old Man said:

I have noticed that using the new Clear System Caches button in 4.6 doesn't clear stored data from Redis 6.2.5.

Are using a prefix for your database ? If yes, I have found a bug related to this, and it's the one causing this with Redis no matter what version. IPS staff said that it will be fixed with the up coming release which I hope they do it before.  

6 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I'm slightly confused because there issue you reported is related to pagination in the SQL toolbox. It isn't related in any way to Redis.

I would recommend submitting a ticket if you're having an issue.

5 hours ago, Daniel F said:

Yes, the SQL Toolbox bug was fixed for an upcoming release  and as Stu said, this isn’t related to Redis at all. 

Well the Redis is a cache for the database, and if the database queries aren't running for other pages. How you are expecting Redis to work fine ? I am sure after you guys release the fix it will fix this issue. I might be mistaken, but we will wait this upcoming release. 

Edited by Afrodude

• Management
14 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

Hi Matt,

Thanks. Do you consider it necessary that Clear System Caches in 4.6 should clear stored objects from Redis? I realise you do add expiry to them, but to flush the object cache at the same time as other system caches?

It should already clear out Redis. If it doesn't, that's a bug.

Although to be clear, it "clears" the Redis cache by changing the prefix used for all Redis keys. So you will still have a lot of data in Redis just after you cleared caches, but the Redis TTL will clear them out eventually because Invision Community will no longer ready/write to those specific keys.

So if you spot lots of data still in Redis after hitting "Clear Caches" then that's not a bug.

If you clear caches and Redis is still returning 'old' data to Invision Community directly, that is a bug.

Thanks Matt, as I understand it then, clearing the Redis cache in this manner would effectively mean the Redis cache size should visibly increase, since the existing data isn't purged, it could potentially double in size. Depending on the size of the cache and how full it is prior to clearing, it should be very noticeable. However it stays the same according to the Dashboard. 

Monitoring it live in real-time with Netdata, it should show a sudden influx of new keys, but I don't think I've seen that. I'll have to check again to be sure, but certainly the Redis data size in AdminCP stays the same, it should at least change which confused me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:08 AM, The Old Man said:

No, not yet. A lot going on, sorry. To be honest a lot of bugs IPS could verify for themselves, creating tickets for bugs is so time consuming for both parties so I try to limit to priority issues.

After recent patch I have noticed improvement using Redis because before that the site was like it's not been cached at all and very slow. 

22 minutes ago, David.. said:

There was nothing mentioned in the patch about Redis though.

I know. Also, I don't know if you had issues with it before, but me and @The Old Man notice some issues. I disabled it because IPS staff are working on huge amount of bugs, yet they released this patch. I decided to enable it back after this patch, and I noticed that it's working fine again.

Edited by Afrodude