Can't edit random posts

I went to edit someone's post and I was met with this error:

spacer.png

I've noticed this has happened on a few random posts but not all. Nothing in the content of the post seems out of the ordinary, it's just basic text. Any insight on how to fix this?

May be worth noting that we don't have the time limit for post edits enabled, it's set to unlimited.

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you are sure that there is no limit that has been set for the group that is trying to edit, then please submit a ticket and we can take a look for you to see what is happening

This happened to me too, and I reported the issue. You guys told me it's not related to IPS, and it could be a third-party plugin/ application issue which I don't believe so because I noticed this issue on sites who have zero third-party plugin/ application.

This issue happened because of whenever you are trying to press on "Save" button after editing. The button keep saying "Saving....", and then this message show up. If you refresh the page you will notice that the post is already saved.  

17 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

This happened to me too, and I reported the issue. You guys told me it's not related to IPS, and it could be a third-party plugin/ application issue which I don't believe so because I noticed this issue on sites who have zero third-party plugin/ application.

This issue happened because of whenever you are trying to press on "Save" button after editing. The button keep saying "Saving....", and then this message show up. If you refresh the page you will notice that the post is already saved.  

We would generally advise on disabling all 3rd party items and testing, yes. However if you are still having issues the please respond back to the ticket 

2 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

The easiest way to get the real error is edit a core file and change this error output to $e->getMessage() and try to edit the post again. Of course if you have FTP access to your server. You will get the exact reason. Then you revert back the edit after get the reason. 

Does this include the status update? because this is where it happened more. 

18 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

Does this include the status update? because this is where it happened more. 

Found it: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/431279-suggestion-content-controller-edit/

You will download the file. Change 'edit_no_perm_err' to $e->getMessage(). Save. Upload.

Edit the post. The “real” error will be there.

Revert the edit. Save. Upload the file.

10 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Found it: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/431279-suggestion-content-controller-edit/

You will download the file. Change 'edit_no_perm_err' to $e->getMessage(). Save. Upload.

Edit the post. The “real” error will be there.

Revert the edit. Save. Upload the file.

Alright now lets see what causing this issue really. 

6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

No, your edit is wrong. See the code error that’s in the topic I linked: 2S136/E.

You made the edit in the 1S136/17.

\IPS\Output::i()->error( $e->getMessage() , '2S136/E', 404, '' );

I do have this as well, and no error logs have saved from the error I receive whenever I edit that post. 

Edited by Afrodude

45 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

I do have this as well, and no error logs have saved from the error I receive whenever I edit that post. 

I see why. They changed it. Before it was redirected to a page and the error was there. Now it shows a JS alert. Anyway, the error is now logged:

}
		catch ( \Exception $e )
		{
			\IPS\Log::debug( $e, 'content_debug' );
			\IPS\Output::i()->error( 'edit_no_perm_err', '2S136/E', 404, '' );
		}

See the debug there. So go to ACP -> System -> Support -> System Log and the error has to be there.

I, for example, renamed the column forums_posts.post to forums_posts.postX then I got the alert but the error is in the log:

nNAGhm1.png

S2VWNhR.png

Check your logs.

2 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

See the debug there. So go to ACP -> System -> Support -> System Log and the error has to be there.

You are saying that the error must be there even without change 'edit_no_perm_err' to $e->getMessage(). If this is what you mean, then still no error logged at all about the edited post. 

Edited by Afrodude

52 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

submit a ticket. The error is now logged.

There is one already open, but IPS staff think it's not related to them even after testing by disabling all third-party stuff as suggested by them or testing on website that has zero third-party stuff installed.

38 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

I did that long time ago …

Yes, you said that several times. We got that loud and clear. But you were asked by IPS staff to RESPOND AGAIN to that ticket if the issue persists and is apparently not caused by third-party code. Now please do that, as three people in this topic have advised. Adriano tried his best to help you here through the forums, but even he now suggests to go through a ticket as the issue apparently cannot be identified from a distance. 

And yes, tickets might take several days. Not hearing back about non-critical issues for 28 hours on a weekend is perfectly normal. 

Edited by opentype