Badges look dated

Here's what I see on IPB.  I have to hover to see post count, join date, online status...  Also, the font for my member name is not crisp.

image.png.63fac7238c87438f19f0e33d0109354a.png

I have a few nice themes from @Ehren on my site, but to keep it even, here's the way I see it.

No hovering needed, I see post count, join date, online status...

Also, how do mobile people easily see this same info?  They need to click more?

What exactly is a badge for?  I have all the info I need below.

Overall, I do not like the look of the badge, and how hard it is to easily see member info now.

image.png.db4c7d1fd1e7f8d95d3a8178eded57c4.png

Badges are important in the sense that they allow a quick visual to know a little about the credibility of the writer of the message if I may say so.

Maybe a simple registration date and a number of messages on a profile would be enough for some like you.

If not more widely, they also allow to integrate a gamification system in order to encourage participation especially towards new registrants and to make the profile system more informative and evolving.

This is the very first version and like very first version it is not the best but it will surely be improved over time just like IPS 1.0 was.

Whatever thing we're dealing with, whether it's writing an article or setting up a web page, I have learned over time that the best I think is not to render them. heavy things with lots of written or visual repetition by seeing the user as a person who does not understand anything at all and that must be repeated as many times as possible or make things that are immediately obvious with lots of colors or big visuals with the goal that he can not miss anything that we want to convey to him. Rather, it may make things difficult to assimilate and to scare away because it is too tiring.

Badges are a good thing but are not part of the main message for regular (and majority) users when opening a page.

Therefore, it should be less intrusive. Maximum a single icon can be on the main page of the message and with a maximum of discretion.

Because the goal is not to convey the main message of the page but to bring information to a new reader on a question which he asks himself "who am I in front?". He will have to search and he will find even if the information is discreet.

Regular users know that such is the moderator, credibility in his posts etc.

The gamification system is also becoming less useful for regular writers I think.

unlike instagram and other social networks, i don't think the old editors here are looking to have as many likes and badges as possible but rather to have their post read and accepted.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:58 PM, Square Wheels said:

I didn't like the badges from when I first saw them.  Now that they've been in place for a while, they look even worse.  Plus, I have no idea what their purpose is.

I've heard of tools that allow designers to design badges.
Could be a solution to fit your taste, whatever that might be.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:27 AM, annadaa said:

Badges are important in the sense that they allow a quick visual to know a little about the credibility of the writer of the message if I may say so.

Maybe a simple registration date and a number of messages on a profile would be enough for some like you.

If not more widely, they also allow to integrate a gamification system in order to encourage participation especially towards new registrants and to make the profile system more informative and evolving.

This is the very first version and like very first version it is not the best but it will surely be improved over time just like IPS 1.0 was.

Whatever thing we're dealing with, whether it's writing an article or setting up a web page, I have learned over time that the best I think is not to render them. heavy things with lots of written or visual repetition by seeing the user as a person who does not understand anything at all and that must be repeated as many times as possible or make things that are immediately obvious with lots of colors or big visuals with the goal that he can not miss anything that we want to convey to him. Rather, it may make things difficult to assimilate and to scare away because it is too tiring.

Badges are a good thing but are not part of the main message for regular (and majority) users when opening a page.

Therefore, it should be less intrusive. Maximum a single icon can be on the main page of the message and with a maximum of discretion.

Because the goal is not to convey the main message of the page but to bring information to a new reader on a question which he asks himself "who am I in front?". He will have to search and he will find even if the information is discreet.

Regular users know that such is the moderator, credibility in his posts etc.

The gamification system is also becoming less useful for regular writers I think.

unlike instagram and other social networks, i don't think the old editors here are looking to have as many likes and badges as possible but rather to have their post read and accepted.

Appreciate you taking the time to write this out. A lot of great points 👍 👌 

I'm fine with the new badges, but I'm REALLY missing all of the profile info below the avatar.  

These fields should be a built in option to display under the avatar "Join Date/Total Posts/Rep/ Location and other custom fields"

I think having it displayed gives a member "forum cred" at a glance.  Heck, I didn't even know you had to "hover" over the avatar to see that info. 

You shouldn't need a plugin in order to display that basic information.    

Nowadays with such a shift to mobile, I'm for the simpler minimized layout to closer mirror what we show on mobile when on desktop. Back in the day when more users where on desktop it made more sense to have an expanded user info panel within the post template, but as time moves on, simpler and faster is better IMO. However, you can probably achieve that all with a plugin or reach out to a dev for something like: